SAU Community

R12 To R134a Conversion

marcus32

i want to convert my air con to R134A as it was imported as R12. Does anyone know where i can get a conversion kit with new reciever dryer and pipe fittings to do the conversion, i'm sure someone has had to do this before, i don't want to know where i can get it done as i'll do it myself just where to buy the parts. thanks in advance for any help

Edited by marcus32

You are not allowed to do it yourself. You have to be a certified A/C repairer to do it. The old gas has to be stored in a container and disposed of properly because it is ozone depleting. The R134A gas is toxic to humans. Cost is $200 if you live in brisbane, PM me for details if you wish.

well to give you the facts i work in a dealership thus all parts are genuine so i didn't know that jayair supply them thus why i asked. next time just answer the question without being a smartarse.

Well I'm sorry that you thought I was being a smart arse but that was not how I intended it to read. There's the information - would you like part numbers also?

I have a full list of them at work (won't be til Monday now though)

No worries, I will find out on Monday. I just spoke to my boss then and he hasn't got anything listed as specific for the R32 GTST but he said that we will definately be able to match it up so I'll take mine off on Monday and get the number for the correct parts and prices. Shouldn't be any more than around $40 for everything.

OK, here are some pics of my RECEIVER/DRYER which is to suit an R32 GTST

If these match yours, then the part number is RD5010

The dimensions are 200mm HIGH x 60mm DIAMETER. M20 Thread on inlet and M16 thread on outlet. It has two male switch points perpendicular to the in/out. Only one should have the sensor in it.

post-10554-1130831523.jpg

post-10554-1130831546.jpg

so what exactly has to be changed? my whole system is out at the moment, so i might as well buy the parts and change everything over, then get it refilled proffesionally.

steve

The only things that require changing are the RECEIVER/DRYER (pictured) and the fittings to the High and Low side of the system - Red and blue caps.

Red is high, Blue is low.

And dont treat R134A with contempt either. Whilst it may not harm the ozone, it still contributes to global warming. It too will be phased out of use and replaced with Carbon Dioxide

R134a still harms the ozone layer... just about 1000 times less than R12

• 8 years later...