SAU Community

Installing Mech Lsd Into R32-gts Non Turbo

skit

Hi all,

This is my first post, I have searched extensively but cannot find the answers I'm looking for, I hope someone here can offer some help.

First up, I'm considering bringing in a nice 4 door r32 gts (non turbo) which I have come across. I'm a big fan of N/A reliability, hence considering this option over a gts-t, and a believer that with sorted suspension and a diet, an underpowered car can be very enjoyable to drive (I recently owned a 4a-ge sprinter, good case in point). The car in question has very low km, and appears to be very tidy, whilst I shy away from the idea of buying a thrashed gts-t with 3 x times the km locally.

My primary concern is whether or not an aftermarket mechanical LSD centre for a gts-t can be bolted into the r32 non turbo (short nose) R200 diff housing. Now, I am new to skylines (& Nissan's in general) however after hours of searching forums and sites, I cannot find a concrete answer. I suspect not, given the gts and gts-t housings seem to have different bolt patterns to the axle housing (5 bolt & 6 bolt?).

Surely someone has come across this issue in a gts + t conversion? Or is it a simpler task to buy a complete disc to disc gts-t rear end (which I presume should bolt straight in) and then look to a mechanical LSD centre for it? Of course I have the 5 stud issue to contend with then aswell.....

*EDIT- I just recalled that given HICAS was standard on gts-t's, this may present some issues using a complete rear end in the gts - but then I don't want HICAS anyhow. This gts has no sunroof, so I presume it is not the optioned up model that came with HICAS.*

So - can anyone offer some advice please?

And while I'm here - can anyone verify that aftermarket coilover struts sold for gts-t models will bolt up to the standard gts links? I have read this is fine, but given the wheel stud pattern difference, I am concerned if this is the only difference in the multi-link front end between models.

The car will be a daily driver, but I do intend venture to tracks from now on rather than having my fun down the local mountain roads which are far from safe or practical for spirited driving.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by skit

I recently had a similar conversion of a Stagea rear diff into a R32 GTS4. Basically what I had done was to take the crown wheel and pinion out of the Stagea diff, and have the C/W attached to the R32's viscous centre and both bits replaced into the R32's diff housing. (That's not exactly what I wanted - I wanted the whole centre transferred, but that's a different story!)

If you simply replace your GTS's diff centre with the new mech LSD centre, everything else should be re-useable, including the output shafts (so you retain the bolt patterns of the GTS).

Thanks Elk, I think I follow what you've done. The other thing that crossed my mind is the that the axle splines may not match between the N/A and turbo models, but I still can't find anyone to confirm this based on experience.

Having said that, the car in question has gone now anyway, so I have more time to ponder....

Cheers for your thoughts.

Scott

hi, in my r33 gts i swapped the diff with a nissan A31 cefiro LSD. it bolted right in. the only thing that had to be changed was the back plate with my old one off the single spinner. have a look under your car to see your bolt pattern. if the bolts are in pairs it is 3x2 and if they are alone its 5x1

if you can only find r32 gtst diffs you should be able to get away with swapping the diff and half shafts.

does your car have ABS? if yes then you need to get a diff out of a ABS car. but if it doesnt have ABS i have been told that it doesnt matter.

this is an awesome thing to do to your car. it makes it in to a totaly new car. and handles perfect. :D mine cost me $300nzd all up to buy(local internet auctionsite) and get installed.

you will notice the differnece on corners especially under acceleration. sure you cant really do burnouts because the diff isnt good for that. but thats a stupid thing to be doing.

i would aslo class it as a safty feature as your car will grip better and be less likly to lose the back end. and if you do its much easyer to catch :D

It seems true about the compatability of older Nissan driveline components. At any rate, Im sure it can be done. The car in question was not mine, and has since been sold so I'm still keeping one eye on the market.

Thanks for your input BAD

just watch the diff ratios...

they are different between all the models, and from memory, the NA had the shortest (highest) ratio.

then GT-R, GTS-4 and finally GTS-t

probably have the order wrong, but the point is to watch the ratios.

sorry, but I had a quick look for some proof and couldn't find any. (but it IS true)

If HICAS gives you problems, get a lock bar (from the forums - gtrgeoff I think)

Hope you go for the car (I'm waiting for mine to get here... still). Welcome to nissan

my r33 with a rb20e the factory diff ratio was 4.0:1 the way to tell what ratio your diff is is look on the blue plate on the fire wall. you will see somthing like RC40=4.1:1 my gts also doesnt have hicas

i have put a 4.3:1 diff in my car. so the speedo reads higher then the actuall speed im doing by about 5kph. you can get your speedo recalibrated to suit if your worryed about it.

you could get away with a gts25t diff as i think they are 4.1. but then you would need to change the shafts that connect to the diff. its a bit of extra work but then your speedo wouldnt be out by much

Alright, i have an rb20e and my diff has just died. Seeing as BADR33 you have the same car as me it might be my best bet to talk to you... so do you have msn or anything that i can add you on to get a little more detail?

I want to put a new diff in it, pref LSD, though how rare as these cefiro diffs? I need it fairly urgently, so the sooner the better. If i have to change the shafts that connect to the diff, what else needs to be changed or are they all compatible?

Dayne

Alright, i have an rb20e and my diff has just died. Seeing as BADR33 you have the same car as me it might be my best bet to talk to you... so do you have msn or anything that i can add you on to get a little more detail?

I want to put a new diff in it, pref LSD, though how rare as these cefiro diffs? I need it fairly urgently, so the sooner the better. If i have to change the shafts that connect to the diff, what else needs to be changed or are they all compatible?

Dayne

hey there. sorry havnt been on SAU for a while. my msn is grub_man(at)Hotmail(dot)com *i have put them in brackets becuase i got a friendly PM telling me that there a bots that go all over the net and send you spam

um the cefiro diffs are reasonably common. they did come out in both non turbo and turbo cefiros. they have a little orange sticker on the side saying somthing like visious LSD or somthing. finding one is hard because they use them in drifters.

my diff bolted stratight on. all that was needed was the back plate swapped over and new fluid. i have been told you could modify other skyline LSD or S14 diffs to fit but its more work because you will have to change the half shafts if you can only get hold of a 5x1 diff. or modify the diff mounts for the S14.

ah bought my rb30 block for 100bux today :)

geoff

Edited by BADR33