SAU Community

4wd Not Working After Abs Removal

NXTIME

I need to know how to get the 4WD to work on an R32 GTR that has had the ABS unit removed. The 4WD and ABS dash lights are on and the error code flashes to indicate a problem with ABS (error code 8). All other sensors are still in place except for the ABS unit. I have also just fitted programmable aftermarket ECU.

Any ideas?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great help and a useful post thanks T04GTR.

NXTIME, there are two prong pulse wires that run of a magnetic pickup on each corner of the gtr. When you remove the ABS you have to disconnect this. Those wheel speed sensors also work for the Attessa. Follow the wires back to the body harnes and you will see where they diverge and go back to the ETS control computer located on the parcel shelf. Okay so work out which wires run to the wheel speed sensors from the wiring digram of the ETS that is in the workshop manual, work out the colours etc and trace thses as far forward as possible then extend the wires to reach their respective wheels speed pickups, buy two new plugs that will fit the originals and this should solve your problems!!! Does this make sense??? LEt me know if you need any more help I am sure I have the wire colours somewhere but it can be worked out! Cheers

so basicly. you have to indipendantly re run each wheel speed sensor wire back to the ets ecu. :P

as far as im aware its all hooked up. just the pump/actuator has been removed.

and fault code 8. (abs motor relay/circut etc) not a wheel speed sensor fault.

i thought the atessa ecu controles the abs?

i know this is a tricky one but somones had to of done this before.

i simulated this at work on my own car by unpluging the abs.

i got code 8 and 9.(abs motor relay and abs actuator relay)

any feedback on the same senario would be apriciated.

ps. this is nxtime and myselfs little chalange due to an aftermarket ets controler having been nikked from his car while on the docks.

lies! r32 gtr N1 do not have abs but there attessa still works

ok if they dont use abs sensor of wheel speed (wheel slip) how does the unit detect wheel slip. Does the N1 still have the abs wheel sensors it may not have the abs but i would put a good bet the sensors are still in place.

Charlie I will reply to your PM here. Also sorry didnt realise there was an in joke my apoligy's Dave.

Righto the ETS computer has 4 inputs that run from the the respective wheel sensors. Now the wheels sensors are magnetic pickups that run a pulse back to the computer which then calculates wheel speeds. Now for the 4wd the computer notes how fast all the wheels run in relation to each other and monitors if the back wheels run faster than the fronts, too compensate buy actuating the Attessa pump and engage the front wheels. Now, when removing the ABS which also uses these wheels speed sensors the 4wd computer doesnt have the inputs any more so its a matter of connecting them back up. All I did on my car is work out via the wiring schematics the colours of the 2 front wheel speed sensors traced them back to the ETS ecu chopped them and ran new wires right to the front, from the ETS computer, got a new plug and connected them up. I havent tried my car yet so I cant say if I had success but this is how I saw it done on Domenic's yellow autostyle car, that had the ABS removed. I hope this makes more sense this time.

i dont understand why you would want to get rid of the ABS in the first place? someone please explain that too me.

and 2nd, my dads boss races 2 r32 gtr's N1 spec and one of them which is all standard ecu's, if the ecu detects a wheel lock up it disengaes the front wheels until the car has completly stopped and turned off and back on again.

they tried it without the abs and the times were slower hence the abs helps.

as has been said above the speed sensors is what does it they have tried 4wd aftermarket controllers and the like still does it, they are running about a 40/51 front rear split.

there is away around it without all this wire chopping and the like you know, and you could take out about 20 or so kg of weight too.

SSS_Hoon

Thanks for that, Daniel :D Will try it and let you know how it goe4s.

SSS_Hoon, I think you will find that most drag cars have the ABS removed. Also, please enlighten us on how to get around the lack of ABS and also on the weight saving? Might as well kill two birds with the one stone.

they aint drag cars they are circuit cars sorry i forgot to add that.

i dont know for sure as tehy aint tried it yet but the theroy it should work,i dont want to post it up and have someon go and do it only to find out that it dont work.

but as for the weight it involves getting rid of all the abs stuff loom ecu resovior pump and what ever else is involved with it, the only thing is you will have the light on constantly(take out the globe) and the 4wd will be on constantly also.

SSS_Hoon

the n1 ATTESA computer is different and that is where the ABS signal is stopped in an n1. ie if you run an n1 ATTESA computer in a regular GTR you loose ABS but keep ATTESA.

Not sure exactly what the difference was in the N1 computer, it seemed to react quicker with front torque but it was not as good as a controller

cool. ok. im looking at the attesa schematic and the wheel speed sensors hook DIRECTLY to the atessa ecu.

i know everyones trying to help but the wheelspeed sensors are NOT the issue.

what we are trying to do is make the attessa ecu think its still plugged in to the abs/actuator assembly.(passanger side of engine bay with all the brake lines etc)

and no we dont have the abs/actuator unit. { the abs ecu is the attessa ecu(r32)}

for those with a manual refer to page ch-66