SAU Community

Rb26 Turbo Upgrade, All Dyno Results

SLY33

On 01/03/2020 at 1:10 AM, BrianJ said:

Foreword: car is in US, results inflated at least 47.9%. Fake News It Must Be True GIF by moodman

770ish Hp pull was done on 28psi and E78 from the pump. The lovely dyno snapped a belt roughly 1000rpm before my redline hence the gorgeous graph. At that point after the worst imaginable experience with that shop, lasting over 30 months, I trailered the car elsewhere to be properly tuned, not just WOT, and swapped the 0.84 rear for a 1.32. Dyno Type is an old dynamite model, stock R32s read around 260whp without the boost pill in it. 

Final "glory" pulls were done on the 6466 with 1.32ar, Ignite Red 90% ethanol (NOT 85% like the graph states), and 37psi peak. I dont have any relevant comparisons for this dyno unfortunately. 

20200229_104756.jpg

I wouldn't say that is complete freedom merica dyno

I did 620kw/830whp on 32psi with a 1.15 6466 on a 2.8 similar sort of mods. mine wouldn't take anymore boost to make a significant amount more power. I think the nismo intake needs the ditch and update the hks cooler to a new plasmaman unit.

Best indicator is the trap speed, update it when you make a pass!

dyno-final.thumb.jpg.687274af610e58ad840d63a5c6b04917.jpg

2 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

I did 620kw/830whp on 32psi with a 1.15 6466 on a 2.8 similar sort of mods. mine wouldn't take anymore boost to make a significant amount more power. I think the nismo intake needs the ditch and update the hks cooler to a new plasmaman unit.

what mph does your car run?

3 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

Seems like the 6466 tap out around the 620-650kw. Im 620kw on 31psi on e85 on hub dyno

14 hours ago, ido09s said:

what mph does yours run? have you raced it?

No yet, last meeting was cancelled due covid lockdown. New season starts in September so will be out then to see what it does.

17 hours ago, Dorifudo said:

Seems like the 6466 tap out around the 620-650kw. Im 620kw on 31psi on e85 on hub dyno

I am trying to get as much as possible out of the 6466, as it is a great multi use turbo.

I predominately prefer circuit/sprints (leave it at about 1.2 bar), however enter Racewars (1000m events) and the drags on occasion so the 2 bar kill all tune is handy for those.

And this is why i hate dynoes and the black top doesnt lie.

If your car only manages to run 146mph with 620kw at the hubs i would be asking your tuner whats wrong with it.

We have an S14 that makes 500rwkw @33psi with a 6766 and it runs 138mph all day on low boost.... low boost is about 430rwkw. I havent had it back to the track since we put more power in it and made the 500rwkw but would be expecting something like 144mph with the boost turned up.

Correct me if i am wrong but power at the hubs would be worth what, 50rwkw gain? so your cars making close to 150rwkw more, comparing it to low boost on our car, but only runs 8mph more.....

16 hours ago, ido09s said:

And this is why i hate dynoes and the black top doesnt lie....

This is why I don't really like to talk about dyno numbers anymore (or really a lot of technical stuff), unless I feel like the audience are capable of having a sensible conversation about.  Dynos don't tend to lie either but it's all data and like any data - how useful it is doesn't just come down to how it's measured, its no use if people who are interpreting it aren't capable of taking context and you end up with comments like this.

620kw range, possibly even a bit more is about right for a 6466 pushed hard on a hubber on E85.  Sure, it'll make less on a Dyno Dynamics dyno but these days you hope most people know that and don't need to act like someone is lying.

Also, if you throw the donk from an S14 into a full weight R32 GTR with stock transmission you probably shouldn't hope to run the same trap speed.

• Like 1

The S14 was always making over 400rwkw on the Advan dyno when I worked there. Took it to Unigroup and it struggled to crack 300rwkw.... Clearly if dyno's don't lie then it must be the operator. Its a little hard in this instance to explain the vast differences in performance isn't it? I am referring to mine and Hattori's cars

Whats a GTR weigh? google is telling me 1460kgs.... so it has 60 kilos on the S14.... the S14 is a compete street car, doof doof and spare wheel all get left in place when I race it. its 3100 pounds on the weigh bridge at Sydney Dragway. Throw me in it and its closer to 3300 pounds.

So lets compare apples with apples.... mates old GTR went 11.0@130mph with a pair of low mounts on Bob Jane All Rounders lol It made 300rwkw.. Standard bottom end and stock box. One would expect 275rwkw to put on a tad more than 18mph.... the S14 went 20mph faster with 50rwkw difference.....

3 hours ago, ido09s said:

The S14 was always making over 400rwkw on the Advan dyno when I worked there. Took it to Unigroup and it struggled to crack 300rwkw.... Clearly if dyno's don't lie then it must be the operator. Its a little hard in this instance to explain the vast differences in performance isn't it? I am referring to mine and Hattori's cars

Whats a GTR weigh? google is telling me 1460kgs.... so it has 60 kilos on the S14.... the S14 is a compete street car, doof doof and spare wheel all get left in place when I race it. its 3100 pounds on the weigh bridge at Sydney Dragway. Throw me in it and its closer to 3300 pounds.

So lets compare apples with apples.... mates old GTR went 11.0@130mph with a pair of low mounts on Bob Jane All Rounders lol It made 300rwkw.. Standard bottom end and stock box. One would expect 275rwkw to put on a tad more than 18mph.... the S14 went 20mph faster with 50rwkw difference.....

comparing R32 GTR to R32 GTR  775whp / 146mph is about right.

8 hours ago, Lithium said:

This is why I don't really like to talk about dyno numbers anymore (or really a lot of technical stuff), unless I feel like the audience are capable of having a sensible conversation about.  Dynos don't tend to lie either but it's all data and like any data - how useful it is doesn't just come down to how it's measured, its no use if people who are interpreting it aren't capable of taking context and you end up with comments like this.

620kw range, possibly even a bit more is about right for a 6466 pushed hard on a hubber on E85.  Sure, it'll make less on a Dyno Dynamics dyno but these days you hope most people know that and don't need to act like someone is lying.

Also, if you throw the donk from an S14 into a full weight R32 GTR with stock transmission you probably shouldn't hope to run the same trap speed.

Addressing all of the comments regarding the 6466 results, I wholeheartedly agree that firstly, a dyno is a tuning tool and at the power ranges most of us are getting to (even if they are 'Merica #'s..) its also a safety tool. 

I built the car to be a Circuit/Sprint/Hill climb car that maintains all the creature comforts as well... so basically a "for fun" level of competition along with being able to actually street drive. 

That ~890whp/670awkw set of pulls was done with a fairly optimized setup and tune was full effort kill mode thats not indicative of how I roll around on the street, and with the Mac 3 Port pretty cranked. I believe at the 37psi level, going up from 36psi netted around 6hp. There was no real point to go that far on it. Right at 34psi was where it began to lose a little on the 1.32ar. 

I will absolutely get some times from the drag strip, hopefully sooner than later as they look to be opening back up slowly post-apocalypse. The only "results" I have for now are doing some street pulls against a friend riding my motorcycle. Against a "Tuned/Bolt on/Geared" 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RF that traps 145-148, I (in the R32 GTR..) pull about 3 car lengths from 60-160 on 60% BCDC or 34psi/E85 which was roughly 840whp. 

Either way, I love the 6466. It is pretty phenomenal to have a (ill be generous) 850whp capable turbo that truly drives around with good street manners and boost threshold on a overbore 2.6L. Its a jack of all trades for sure. 

I look forward to some 9280 EFR results from you guys, seems to be a pretty big hitter from the limited info I've seen posted so far. 

I agree, dyno is only a tuning tool the the dyno numbers are really just a pissing contest. Real way to see power is the mph at the end of the 1/4, with my power im expecting to hit the 145-147mph trap speed. My purpose of the car is a weekend toy, doing the old school pick ups and the occasional coffee runs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dorifudo said:

im expecting to hit the 145-147mph trap speed. My purpose of the car is a weekend toy, doing the old school pick ups and the occasional coffee runs

And there is the clincher - arguments about dynos and power figures aside, if you are talking a full weight R32 GTR which can run solidly in the 140mph range while still being pretty responsive then who cares if the dyno reads 400kw or 900hp, that is a fast street car!

And my intention wasn't to cause an absolute shit fight, I was trying to stir the pot somewhat though.

Dyno's are nothing but a tuning tool but sadly there are many out there that would use this thread as a bible and you really shouldn't. There are way to many variables that need to be taken into consideration which most wouldn't even realise. 

I cant wait till the drag strips open back up. Sadly Sydney Dragway is about to be torn up and isn't likely to be 100% operation until September which is pretty disappointing given it was shut down for last 3 months due to Covid. Shit happens though

18 minutes ago, fatz said:

There is a racetrack next door if you want to test your skills

haha I am no good at drag racing either so I will stick to being bad at just the one form of motorsport :P 

Hahaha... THAT is why i love the setup. It can solidly trap in that 140 range all day pretty consistently, and a "bit" higher if i want. In a full weight R32 GTR, thats PLENTY for me. 

The real joy for me however is being able to hit a Circuit, lap after lap, in a 30 year old Nissan and put some hurt feelings on modern Supercars. Yes in that case driver makes as much difference as the car ill admit, I've been lucky enough in life to be able to spend a lot of time on the track and instruct others as well. People think im insane for choosing this platform in the US as the cost per lap/maintenance/etc is pretty silly. But who cares when the Cup 2 R's are at temp and lightly scrubbing in a 3rd to 4th decreasing radius and your gates crack right next to a caged 991.2 GT3 RS or Cup Car. 

Its the simple things in life. 

Theres certainly much quicker and faster cars than mine, but like Hattori pointed out, the setup/turbo flat out works as an all-arounder. The new hot tech is very impressive and I'd love to see a properly executed F1 style KERS + Alt driven Electric Turbocharger or a few other crazy pieces of technology on the horizon. 

Thay being said these cars are so hyped up with the numbers game that its easy to overlook how much fun you can have with "only" 500-600hp in an R Chassis. Let alone 800+. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/06/2020 at 7:11 AM, cliptonz1 said:

1994 R32 GTR

Engine:

HKS 2.8 stroker step 1 86.5mm
ATI 1000hp balancer
Platinum Racing rb26 brace 
Garage101 extended sump
N1 water pump
Nitto oil pump

Head:

Kelford Cams 274in/274exh 10.55mm (182-S)
Kelford Cams CNC’d ported head
+1mm oversized valves
Kelford Cams beehive springs 
Kelford Cams titanium retainers
HKS Cam gears
Nitto 1.2mm headgasket
ARP ca625+ headstuds
Nitto gaskets inlet/exhaust
Spool head drain
Hi octane direct cam baffles

Turbo/manifold:

6boost vband manifold
Turbosmart progate 50mm wastegate
4” dump pipe to 3.5” system
AES resonator and muffler
Garrett GTX3584RS 1.01 rear

Fuel system:

Bosch 1650cc injectors
Turbosmart fpr 1200
Frenchys performance garage twin intank 
Walbro 460 fuel pumps x2
-6 feed speedflow 200 series hose
-6 return speedflow 200 series hose

Ignition:

Platinum Racing r35 coil kit
Platinum Racing trigger kit
NGK Copper spark plugs

made 472hp on BP98 18psi by 4500

Will be going e85 when I sort out my getrag and will turn it up. 

trying to figure out why it nosed over up top

CE1F836F-2401-44CB-B8BC-2EEEA043BC9A.jpeg

Finally got the 2.8 retuned on e85.

low boost 564hp (420kw) on 19psi

high boost 705hp (525kw) on 35psi

turbo is out of boost. Can’t wait to actually drive the old girl.

3C6C83C6-EB35-4135-B4D7-E2D417E928FD.jpeg

• Like 2