SAU Community

R32 Stock Boost Gauge

the gauge is quoted in millimeters of heilium. This is a very old measurement which is pretty much obsolete. A stock HCR32 runs 10PSI of boost, this is what the actuator is set to, and what is displayed when you hook up an aftermarket boost gauge.

the gauge is quoted in millimeters of heilium. This is a very old measurement which is pretty much obsolete. A stock HCR32 runs 10PSI of boost, this is what the actuator is set to, and what is displayed when you hook up an aftermarket boost gauge.

No, it's millimeters of MERCURY, 700mm of helium wouldn't be much pressure :D

It comes from when pressure was measured by seeing how much mercury it moved in a measured glass tube. It is also called a 'torr' 1 torr = 1 mm Hg.

Edited by PlasticStan

either way you cut it the stock gauge is usualy wrong 1/2 the time anyways so just get a good aftermarket (not autometer) boost gauge and call it a day.

What's wrong with autometer? Autometer have been around for decades in the US and are made in the US.

I think you mean autogauge?

Greg

What's wrong with autometer? Autometer have been around for decades in the US and are made in the US.

I think you mean autogauge?

Greg

no i meant what i said, auto meter gauges are not as accurate as they tout.

my buddy with a rx7 had a auto meter gauge that said he was only boosting 7-8psi he threw on a greddy gauge (electric) and it showed boost to be more like 12.

just recently a buddy of mine dynoded his s13 hatch with a rb20 in it and the auto meter gauge read 11psi when it was really boosting 15.

from what ive been told the stock boost on a BONE stock gts-t is 7psi, however when the std exhaust has been dropped in favour of a highflowing one boost jumps up to 10psi.

From what you have been told is correct (sought of).

A stock R33GTST runs 7psi - RB25DET.

A stock R32GTST runs 10 psi - RB20DET.

RB20's and RB25's use different turbos, the RB25 (R33) turbo is slightly bigger than an RB20 (R32) turbo - therfore it can make more power at a lower boost level.

My R32 was running 10 PSI on my aftermarket Greddy Guage. After putting in a 3 inch turbo back egzorst it used to spike to 13psi and sit at 12psi all day - this is because the bigger egzorat is more free flowing and can get rid of gasses quicker - im sure on the exact technical term for it but thats what happens when you do egzorst mods to your car i.e: Air filter and egzorst.