SAU Community

Xenon Hid Lights Conversion For R32

Ronin 09

mmmm just a small note..

I have HID in my R32..

Why not just modify a H1 HID kit into the projector?

What I did was carefully drill out the standard bulb adaptor holder thing and the H1 HID bulb went straight in and it clips in using OEM clips..

All done..

Just wanted to know why you decided to go this way..

Good work on your conversion..

What I did was carefully drill out the standard bulb adaptor holder thing and the H1 HID bulb went straight in and it clips in using OEM clips..

All done..

Just wanted to know why you decided to go this way..

Good work on your conversion..

Because the cut-off line of a Euro projector is TASTY

this is the cut off of a left hand drive projector (taken from eBay)

see how there is a perfect straight line and no light leakage above the cut off?

sweet

DSC08264.JPG

I have a HID kit also.... But what Ronin is doing is not installing a kit but a retrofit.

Retrofit is when you take the projector and bulb from (typically) an OEM and (typically) install it into your car's headlight assembly.

The advantage is that you get the projector that is designed to handle the xenon bulbs. Typically the halogen assembly and/or projector design differ from what's required by xenons and you end up with hot spots, glaring and fuzzy cut offs (and subsequent leakage as he said already).

My HID kit is ok. The cutoff is crisp, almost no hotspots and works well. Not all cars are like this though - it's usually acknowledged if you want to do xenons properly and your car isn't factory equipped, OEM or retrofit is the only way to go.

So Ronin.. How's it goin? More pics??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

w00t! *eagerly awaits pics*

hey, quick question...

with painting the insides of the headlights black, does it affect the throw/dispersion of the light at all?

I mean, i'm quite happy with my headlights at the moment (have standard wattage narva +50% bulbs in there, and adjusted the lights so they shine up a bit higher... the lighting is phenomenal.. my low beams are like most cars high beams.. possibly even better), but the silver finish on them is a bit tatty, and i reckon it would look alright with black housings :thumbsup:

black housing won't make a difference to the headlight performance... look at the std new Holdens with projectors - they have black housings.

anyway, update pics:

New LED setup

Headlights0006.JPG

Headlights0007.JPG

Headlights0008.JPG

Attaching old bracket to new projector:

First I tacked on the bracket with "JB Weld" - a 'metal' epoxy

Headlights0004.JPG

See I had to cut the section of the old bracket between the two screw holes so that I can access the screw that holds the cut-off shield in place on the new projector bowl:

Headlights0003.JPG

Then I adjusted it to level (by eye, didn't have a spirit level, so will be pissed if it's fixable not within std height / tilt adjustment of the headlight) and let it set

After that I went around and secured the whole bracket with JB Weld. I'm told this stuff is tough as so I won't have any issues. I've used it before on other stuff and given the amount I put on, there is NO WAY the old projector bracket and the new projector bowl are ever going to part company - they're joined forever...

Headlights0009.JPG

Headlights0010.JPG

Tonight and over the next few days I'll prepare the chrome cover to be sprayed matte black, and attach the new parkers into the cover

:laugh: cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for JB Weld all over the place; where did you source it? This has reminded me to get on to retro fitting the E55 Hella Bi-Xenons I have. Unfortunately I think I will have to fab some new mounting plates as the E55s are bigger than the standard projectors.

Will be following your progress with interest now that I have found the thread :D

by Bi-Xenon i guess you're referring to both hi and low beam being Xenon?

i thought that Xenon for high beam wasn't worthwile as it's hard for the hi-beam to be instantly on? or is that not an issue anymore...

man, Bi-Xenon, i know the newer bimmers have em... but fark... that's gotta be bright..

can you Bi-Xenon stock OEM R34 Xenon assembly's? i haven't put in my Kaixen lo-beam Xenon's yet..

hey marcus :worship: i see you decided to have a bash at this yourself :D good to see!

Yes, bi as in high and low beam. They are out of an E55 Merc. You obviously need an assembly that's designed for both hi and low beam and I imagine there is no way to modify the OEM assembly replacing and using a retrofit. I haven't been following the 'xenon scene' lately so I don't know if there are any aftermarket hi/lo solutions.

Ronin 09: out of interest, who makes the assemblys out of the Accord?

lucien - got the JB Weld from Ebay... as far as I know I couldn't find it anywhere in Australia!

Not sure who the manufacturers of the Euro projectors are... will have a look for stampings but dont think there are any.

In other news - I melted my other chrome plastic surround... Idiot left it in the oven too long. Had to source another headlight (thanks 'twisted') and will pull that apart.

More shortly :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...