SAU Community

Camera Reviews

dan_the_man

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I thought, since we've got a Photography area we might as well make some use of it. There's many keen photographers from beginners to pros floating around these forums so here's a chance to review some of the equipment you've used.

I think if we keep the posts to a single standard template and try and eliminate "chat" between the posts this could prove quite useful.

I'll start off with a review of my current camera, a Nikon D70

Camera: Nikon D70 w/kit lens 18-70mm

Price Range: $2000 when I bought it (18 months ago)

Date of Review: November 2005

Like? I believe this camera is excellent value for money. It comes with a quality lens which covers most situations and focuses quite quickly. 6MP is plenty for most people and I have blown up shots to 30x20in and been quite happy with the results. Fantastic battery life, you run out of card space before the battery will ever run out. Great results with Nikon's latest flashes.

Dislike? Missing features such as a Vertical Grip, Mirror Lock-up and a remote shutter cable. I find the colour to be a bit plain for my liking out of the camera, others call it "natural" or "realistic". However, in the digital world this means very little as most digital shots need a small amount of work to get them to their best.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Sample picture:

-Greg.

Camera: Canon EOS 300D with 18-55 kit lens

Price Range: $1700 when I bought it (December 04)

Like? It's a great camera for a beginner, but you easily grow out of it. Image quality is great, Canon sensor means there is little to no noise at low ISO's. Great battery life, even more so with the extended grip. Great colours, contrast and saturation, amazing range of lenses as well -for all budgets.

Dislike? Horrible buffer, slow AF. Need to flash it with 10d firmware to get features, slow start up time, slow memory card read/write, no scroll wheel on the rear. Above ISO 800 lots of noise.

Rating: 6 out of 10

Sample picture:

IMG_3239_sample.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 20D Body Only

Price Range: $2300 (September 04)

Like? Image quality is great, Canon sensor means there is low noise till ISO1600. Great battery life, even more so with the extended grip. Great colours, contrast and saturation, amazing range of lenses as well -for all budgets. Fast startup time, fast memory card read/write speed. Great buffer (it pretty much keeps on going). rear scroll wheel for easy adjustments, fast AF

Dislike? Needs another LCD on the back of the camera

Rating: 9.5 out of 10

Sample picture:

IMG_8979_sample.jpg

Camera: SONY CYBERSHOT DSC-717 5.0 MEGAPIXEL DIGITAL STILL CAMERA DSCF717

Price Range: $ 1300 approx (Feburary 04)

Image quality is great for 5MP camera, sony sensor are same between 5MP and 8MP, I do not see the point you spending more money for sony 8MP (DSC-828)camera.

"5.0 Mega Pixel Super HAD CCD

Carl Zeiss "Vario-Sonnar" Lens Assembly

5x Optical (10x Precision Digital) Zoom

Advanced HAD Technology

Hologram AF

Clear Colour NR (Noise Reduction)

Pre-Flash Metering

Auto White Balance and One-Push White Balance

InfoLithium Battery System

NightShot

NightFraming

Light Metering (Spot, Center-Weighted, Multi-Pattern)

Slow Shutter NR

MPEG Movie HQX

Pop-Up Intelligent Flash

Hybrid 1.8" LCD

Hologram AF

Full Range High Speed Auto Focus / Manual Zoom Ring

Scene Selection

Electronic Viewfinder

Even Brightness Picture

USB Connection

Digital Picture Effects

Rotating Lens

Primary Colour Fliter

14bit DXP

Super Resolution Converter

Clear Luminance NR

Multipoint Auto Focus

Auto Exposure Lock

ISO Sensitivity Settings - Auto, 100,200,400,800

Program Shift

Exposure modes - Auto, Programmed auto, shutter priority, aperture priority, Manual, Scene Selection (twilight, twilight portrait) landscape and portrait

Adjustable LCD Brightness (in the set up menu)

Auto Bright Monitoring

100% LCD View

3 Burst Mode

Multi-Burst

Battery Remaining Indicator

Picture Remaining Indicator

Hot Shoe

ImageMixer software

there is low noise till ISO1600.

Great battery life,

Great colours, contrast and saturation,

Dislike?NO range of lenses :).

relatively fast startup time,

fast memory card read/write speed- but hell slow in long exposure and BMP and RAW format.

WORST buffer TIME EVER!!! Only take 3 consecutive shots and minute waiting when process can process it.

adjustments, fast AF

Rating: 7 out of 10

Sample picture:

38200895.jpg

31712136.jpg Macro

31712102.jpg

post-127-1131673453.jpg

Camera: Nikon D100

Price Range: $2300

Like: Generally pretty easy to use. Excellent resolution with great colour. Fantastic battery life. Quick start up times

Dislike: Slow when taking RAW images. Takes a while to write to the memory card. Which is I guess normal since it is an older camera. Photos tend to come out underexposed needing adjustments in photoshop

Rating: 8 out of 10

Sample Images:

3807361-lg.jpg

3807358-lg.jpg

3807392-lg.jpg

3807345-lg.jpg

and a quick one I took last night from my garage of the fireworks from Rally Australia

fireworks.jpg

• 1 month later...

Camera: Konica Minolta Dynax 7D

Price Range: $2700 with twin lens kit (28-100/2.5-5.6 and 75-300/4.5-5.6)

Date of Review: December 05

Like?Well the big 2.5inch LCD is great when viewing your pics and there are plenty of dials on the camera which keeps you busy for a while.

Its got built in ANIT-SHAKE technology which is reallly helpful in low light situations where you dont have a tripod/monopod.

Noise is at minimal at 1600.

3 shots per sec to grab all that action shots.

Love the build quality of it...its gota a firm grip around the whole body

Dislike? Would be better if i can offer 4shots per sec....that one frame counts!

its abit dere...compared to the 20D.

i think the Lens kit could have been better.

Rating: 8/10

Sample picture:

PICT0073.JPG

• 2 months later...

CAMERA: Sony DSC F717

Price Range: around 900 to 1200 (last checked DEC 05)

Likes: i love the fact that the lens can tilt...great for low ground shots, and also great for holding the lens up high and still seeing the object to shoot. Another thing that impressed me is the battery reader... fairly accurate, it tells you approx. how many minutes are left on the camera, great little feature.

Dislikes: None really, just minor dissapointments. 1. as mentioned aboved, fixed lens 2. buffers are slow 3. can be a little noisy at times (picture wise) and 3. the camera isnt too good with reds (doesnt meet my personal standard anyway)

Rating 7.5/10

PIX:

Low shot

post-22958-1141047640.jpg

On the catwalk

post-22958-1141047852.jpg

Friends Car at my place

post-22958-1141048086.jpg

Another Mates Car

post-22958-1141048257.jpg

Some Random Photo out the back of homebush

post-22958-1141049173.jpg

post-22958-1169622149.jpg

Edited by ryMan

Camera: Sony DSC-V1

Like? top photo for it's size, function of semi pro camara, love the nightshot function

Dislike? short battary life, expensive Accessory

Rating: 8/10

Sample picture:

post-1812-1141125872.jpg

Camera: Sony DSC-T1

Like? very nice looking camera, quick start up

Dislike? everything, crap

Rating: 5/10

Sample picture:

post-1812-1141125973.jpg

Camera: Cannon A95 Powershot

Price - $700 mid last year

Mega Pixels - 5.0

Like? good photos for a good price. does the job well

Dislike? short battary life,

Rating: 10/10 ( id recomend it to others )

Sample Shot -

can8ro.jpg

toranagoodpic1au.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 300D with 18-55 kit lens

Price Range: $1700 when I bought it (December 04)

Like? It's a great camera for a beginner, but you easily grow out of it. Image quality is great, Canon sensor means there is little to no noise at low ISO's. Great battery life, even more so with the extended grip. Great colours, contrast and saturation, amazing range of lenses as well -for all budgets.

Dislike? Horrible buffer, slow AF. Need to flash it with 10d firmware to get features, slow start up time, slow memory card read/write, no scroll wheel on the rear. Above ISO 800 lots of noise.

Rating: 6 out of 10

Sample picture:

IMG_3239_sample.jpg

what he said! haha!!! bought mine for about $1400 mark with same kit and battery pack....awesome for a beginner....also canon have now brought out the eos 5D and lenses made for canon now are going to be compatible with film and digital cameras not just digital....bought a $1300 wide lense (12-18ml) and it isn't compatible with my eos 650 film camera!!! spewin!

• 1 month later...

Camera: Canon Digital Ixus-i Zoom

Price Range: $700 - November 2005

Date of Review: April 2006

Like?

Excellent camera for size - smaller than my mobile phone (SE k750i) - 5.0MP Resolution (2592x1440) Quick SD memory card writing, quick flash recoil. Auto-focus. Heaps of cool in-camera features like ISO, color replacement, B/W, Sepia, long exposure times, Heaps of WB settings. Deep colours. Great battery life.

Comes with a dock, remote control, AV leads for TV presenting your shots, Ability to pan-scan, zoom on TV with remote. Dock is also a charger - always ready.

Dislike?

Due to being a compact camera, flash output is crap for subjects 4-5m away. Only 2.4x zoom. Macro < 5cm is pathetic. No external flash options.

Overall: Great compact camera - probably one of the best, perfect for taking on a night out. But don't expect any SLR-like performance out of it.

Rating: 8 out of 10

Sample picture:

Coming soon :)

• 3 months later...

Panasonic DMC-FZ30

Price $1000 Feb 06

Likes:Has a LCD that you can tilt so if you're short like me, You can take pictures holding the camera above your head :D Auto and Manual Focus.

Has all the functions you could possibly want.

Great Battery Life!!

Has the option to zoom up to 19x Digital depending on which MB setting you are on (either 1, 2, 3, 5, or 8 Mega pixels ;))

Dislikes...?? Haven't found anything wrong :)

This model has fixed lense with no option to interchange them.

LUMIX lense so she's a gooden :)

Samples:

night time:

P1000199.jpg

day time:

P1000022.jpg

Edited by StageaGirl

i have the canon digital 350D and its great for those fast shots have not play with it much will next weekend at sandown but for the price and you can flixie rent it for next to nothing its great for me a beginner.

i paid 1200camera and 300 for the other bits and pieces

post-9917-1154568261.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have the following:

Body:

Nikon D70 body

Lens:

Nikkor ED 80-200mm f/2.8D

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8D

Sigma 10-20mm f/4.0D

Others

Battary grap

SB600 flash

I love the this camera, will consider get another nikon D2x body later on

Edited by r32impul

This is the sample picture

DSC_7148.JPG

DSC_7125.JPG

DSC_7336.JPG

DSC_7372.JPG

DSC_7382.JPG

DSC_7409.JPG

DSC_7470.JPG

DSC_7511.JPG

We can basically print your image onto wide format photopaper, canvas, or even mounting them onto 5, 10, 20mm thick board eg. A0, A1 or A2 size

See our website for pricing

Edited by r32impul