SAU Community

R32 Diff Oil

SRE30

I'm replacing the oil in a R32 Viscus LSD diff, since it wasn't delivered to australia they don't seem to list the type of oil required in the books in the auto parts stores. Can someone recommend a Castrol oil that would be suitable? I say Castrol because all the other fluids are castrol and I like to keep it in the family :P

Cheers

If the oil isnt black and its still gold, dont worry about it, the oil that the japanese use in diffs as such is much thicker and better........but if its black yeh change it with what u think is necessary, aussie oil isnt as good.......but its easier to find then HKS diff oil or something like that

Well the oil wont go black in a diff, cos theres nothing to contamniate it with, but it still might be 'worn out'.

You can safely use any GL5 oil that is rated for a differential. It does NOT have to specifically be for an LSD type diff, because the viscous unit is not affected by the oil. Cos you like castrol you can use;

Castrol EPX 80W90

Castrol Multitrax

Castrol SAF-XA (Synthetic)

Castrol Syntrax (Synthetic) <--- Recommend this one.

Cheers.

Edited by Busky2k

If the oil isnt black and its still gold, dont worry about it, the oil that the japanese use in diffs as such is much thicker and better........but if its black yeh change it with what u think is necessary, aussie oil isnt as good.......but its easier to find then HKS diff oil or something like that

Where did you get the idea that Japanese oil is better than Australian. That is not true.

Well the oil wont go black in a diff, cos theres nothing to contamniate it with, but it still might be 'worn out'.

You can safely use any GL5 oil that is rated for a differential. It does NOT have to specifically be for an LSD type diff, because the viscous unit is not affected by the oil. Cos you like castrol you can use;

Castrol EPX 80W90

Castrol Multitrax

Castrol SAF-XA (Synthetic)

Castrol Syntrax (Synthetic)  <--- Recommend this one.

Cheers.

The oil in a diff CAN go black. If it has been punished it will become burnt, the more burnt it becomes, the more black it becomes.

As for Castrol oil - I would not touch the crap. I put Castrol oil in three seperate Skyline Diffs and all three developed a whining noise. One of those was my car and the whine got worse and worse until I changed it - for the third time. Castrol don't want to know anything about it because it is an Import.

I only ever recommend REDLINE Diff Oil. You should use a 90 or 140 grade. Places like Autobarn can get it for you or if you are in Brisbane, Thompson Spare Parts stock it on the shelf.

If you have to use Castrol, ONLY USE THE SYNTRAX AS SUGGESTED ABOVE. The top two listed will wreck your diff.

Well not everyone wants to buy synthetic so yes, I suggested the mineral oils, although I would not use them myself.

If the diff oil is going black, it is most likely to be poor quality (ie lots of oxidising), poor sealing issues, or there is lots of wear happening!

Where's the filler bung located on an R32? I've got a GTR i put it up on the hoist and went to change the dif oil and couldnt find it!! I got over it as I was in a hurry and neglected to change my oil during my 100k service recently.