SAU Community

Where Do People Mount Their Boost Gauges On An R33

Mine's mounted in the bottom right hand side under the pillar. It's "engineered" there.

same with mine, but if u CBFed to get it engineered then just make sure it's below the top of the steering wheel...

i got defect was on the pillar but got it engineered but cops still have a whine..

people dat mount it on their ash tray etc, i think is really stupid, u take ur eyes of the road just to see wat PSI ur running i think it's more dangerous than having aboe the steering wheel, dats just my 2c worth

this is all in NSW hope it helps

im not being negative nancy but i dont see the need for it ?

+7 on the stock guage is 14psi or 1bar. so thats easy. have you any proof that the stock guage shows say +3.5 which is 6.7psi and your aftermarket guage says 9psi exactly? if so are they plumbed into the same spot with same length and width of tubing?

i just dont see the need to buy a boost guage just cos you have a turbocharged car. the stock one should be fine i would image for most stock applications? its a map sensor, i dont think they "wear" out or become forgetful. sure aftermarket turbo then you may need one but why on the stock one? and also most boost controllers (elec anyway) have digital boost display so shouldnt even need one really ?

paul, the stock guage isnt exactly accurate (on my car anyways)

also i like to have it there cause if anything does go wrong with the boost... e.g it spikes to 20psi for some reason or something i can see it :P

the stock guage would show the same thing, it would go to +7 which is 1 bar

and even if it ran 20psi the aftermarket guage aint gonna help you, the damage is probably already done

stock boost gauges suck u mean that +7 -7 gauge thing yuk............ not when raising boost a bit and watching the turbo

its just a different unit of measuer, what does it matter? +7 is 14psi simple really.

"not when raising boost a bit" do you mean with a boost controller? the stock guage will show the increase as well as you would expect of course.

To monitor boost more accurately.

Yep, it does. I can't for the life of me tell where 14psi is on it.

No. But on the dyno I do.

Don't look at it on the road.

the stock one i wouldnt expect to be "inaccurate" ?

14psi is +7, the top of the guage

most dyno's have their own map sensor plumbed into the pressure line to plot boost on the dyno sheet anyway ?

paulr33 i use to think that a boost gauge was a waste of time till i got my e boost 2

i do all of my boost settings and can c from the cabin wat boost i am running

since this i have turned my boost down to a safe level i have a much larger power band

with modding cars $$ vers damage you can do without 1 its a no brainer now but i could not be told i needed to find this out for myself so i appriciate it a bit more

mods i have

exhaust

fmic pbbov

pod

e boost 2

wat mods have you done

james

yes but what you have stated is the arguement of using a shit boost controller vs a good one. using either doesnt really warrant an aftermarket guage. im not arguing for the sake of it, i just really don't see the need unless you have a bigger turbo?

mods i have are powefc, evc3 elec boost controller, 3" exhaust, fmic, gtr fuel pump. i never look at touch any buttons on my boost controller, it's a set and forget scenario. but it does display boost in digital bar output

the stock one i wouldnt expect to be "inaccurate" ?

14psi is +7, the top of the guage

most dyno's have their own map sensor plumbed into the pressure line to plot boost on the dyno sheet anyway ?

true... What if you're running higher than 14psi? Say 16psi like I am.

I've been on a few dyno's that don't plot boost pressure.

Although, hmmm...I never really look at my boost gauge anyway. I always check my ebc. It has a peak hold function so it holds the highest boots reached in psi for a few seconds.

The only time I've used the gauge was to make sure the ebc was reading correctly when I was tuning the ebc to use an external gate on the dyno.

Yeh good ebc makes a difference but 1 with a gauge is better as you said

i change my boost only by 1/4 of a psi at a time and i can also change how hard it comes on

but if you have a stock turbo and you play with boost without gauge you cat can eat your exhaust wheel

james

cheers for all the responses guys, like someone else said on here, my gauge is very inaccuarate, i tapped up the boost the other day, and it still reads ~6.7psi on my factory gauge, so i bought a aftermarket for that reason, still have yet to recieve it though the aftermarket will definitely show me if my boost tap is working or not.

• 6 years later...

7 year bump!

There was mention here of not needing a boost guage if you have a EBC that read peak boost ect. My car has no stock boost guage as it was NA.

I do have a Greedy profec b2 thats going in.

can i forgoet about spedning the money on guages?