SAU Community

RB20DET Gearbox Design

Cubes

I was wondering how the RB20DET gearbox was designed.

I have rebuilt 6 or 7 single rail gearboxes that are used behind a ford 250 6cyclinder.

They basically had a main shaft with gears on it that had a front input shaft bearing and a bearing at the rear.

THen there was the lay shaft that was one big set of gears they were basically one solid piece with a metal bar running through the center that required hundreds of tinny little roller bearings that you had to first stick on with grease then slide in to the layshaft.

It is very fiddly but worth it as a rebuild only costs around $120.

Inc. all new syncro's main bearings and roller bearings.

So I am looking at rebuilding my rb20det gearbox which i wil be able to match up some heavy duty bearings from CBC (hopefully)

BUT i havn't rebuilt a 5 speed so i was wondering if there was much of a design difference between the old 4 speed and the 5 speed.

Anyone?????

I priced up the rebuild of the 3 litre box (which is similar to the RB20DET box from what i've been told) and it was about $480 for the synchro's and bearings from CBC. That's without gears.

hrmm thats interesting..

Usually you don't replace gears anyhow unless the box has been mashed which almost never happens.

Still $500 for a fresh rebuilt box is well worth it.

Esp. 'IF' I can get some heavy duty main bearings.