SAU Community

Pre-Purchase Inspections

Hi guys,

i'm tyring to help out a friend shop around for a V35 and he's found one that he likes from a dealership in Sydney.. the ones at Parramatta Rd.

Now I have done my research on the dealership and it seems to have a mixed reputation. I told my friend to shop around more but fell in love with the car and paid the $500 deposit -_- .

FYI it's a 2003 V35 350GT with 27K on the ODO (very likely wound back). Exterior and interior is in very good condition though... and oh.. it has a sunroof.

I told him that it has probably been wound back (it seems like it's a pretty common practice) but if it drives well and mechanically good, then it should be fine. I also told him to do major service on it after a few thousand Ks just in case it's really 80K.

I guess the best thing to do now is at least get a pre-purchase inspection just to make sure it's mechanically good and not a re-built.

A quick search in google shows a few of those mobile inspections. Can anyone recommend a company or mechanic?

Stateroads are the guys i used, very happy with their work, and no issues at all with my car in 2 yrs of ownership. sure it cost almost 300 bucks, but money well spent.

wasnt a V series, but im sure they will do a good job anyways.

Edited by boiracer

I also used state roads when i purchased my 2003 v35 coupe, 43K ODO. Highly recommended. I went for the comprehensive inspection. They checked everything and also take the car for a test drive. In the end they told me the only issues were that the battery was abit loose and that the radio was Japanese.

Hi guys,

i'm tyring to help out a friend shop around for a V35 and he's found one that he likes from a dealership in Sydney.. the ones at Parramatta Rd.

Now I have done my research on the dealership and it seems to have a mixed reputation. I told my friend to shop around more but fell in love with the car and paid the $500 deposit -_- .

FYI it's a 2003 V35 350GT with 27K on the ODO (very likely wound back). Exterior and interior is in very good condition though... and oh.. it has a sunroof.

I told him that it has probably been wound back (it seems like it's a pretty common practice) but if it drives well and mechanically good, then it should be fine. I also told him to do major service on it after a few thousand Ks just in case it's really 80K.

I guess the best thing to do now is at least get a pre-purchase inspection just to make sure it's mechanically good and not a re-built.

A quick search in google shows a few of those mobile inspections. Can anyone recommend a company or mechanic?

What are you checking?

Check for any puttering of the exhaust

take off the oil plug with car running and make sure you can feel a vacume with you palm over the hole

check the rotors and see how big the lip is

check the gear knob for wear

check the right thigh cushion on the drivers seat

if they let you take the air tube off and take the # 6 coil off the spark plug and check for oil in the hole - if so def not 27k (really try and do this) You will need flat blade screw driver, star and 10ml socket

While the air tube is off check the throttle body, push the valve open and shine a torch in there and check for how much carbon build up there is, if 27K should be next to nothing

Check the windows and see if they have trouble moving up and down - is one slower than the other when you push both down and up and let it auto

Get a large flat blade screw driver and hold it against each cylinder on the head, old your ear up against the handle and listen if any one of them is worse than the other

Make sure when pressing the lock and unlock on both remote and the door button that each door can easily lock and unlock and not just go half way

Tune the stereo to Bass 3 and Tremble 2 and turn up so like 17 and listen for any distortion. i once checked out a car which was obvious wound back and they had base turned right down as the back speakers were f#$ked

Thats all i can think of atm..

Edited by R6n350GT

I had mine done at nissan i bought private for 19k same car as ur friend is getting, dealers are way to over priced, but Nissan at Artatmon did a pre purchase for $180, they checked everything all i got back was fan belts needed changing soon.