SAU Community

Front Turn Signals

FBRacing

I've tried researching thru SAU and I can't seem to find if this has been done. What I'm finding difficult is the translation between US, Brits, and all you Ozzie. Every country seems to have their own word for a part. For example here in the US what we call the hood, you call a bonnet. Or my favorite is when I asked about a trunk lid and I was asked what that was. You guys call it a boot. Not frustrated one bit cause I love learning about everything and other cultures but sometimes it hinders the researching process.

I bought my R33 without front turn signals on the bumper because the previous owner installed a JUN front bumper. Because no front turn, everything blinks fast. I find this annoying. This is what I've been looking for. . . I want to not install a front bumper turn signal but instead try to tap into the headlight housing corner bulb to blink when asked to but stay solid amber when not turning when the marking lamps are turned on. Then when the mark lights are off it would just signal. Make sense? I was wanting to install a front signal light but honestly haven't found a "style" I like. I was also considering making a carbon fiber ducts for the large inlets openings on the front bumper to channel air to front brakes. Has anyone tapped into those corner headlights to make them signal?

Hey man I had a mate that did the same thing and encountered the hyper flash problem we used an led decoder to fix it there like $7 per unit from eBay {style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedBySAU Community1383186290.631249.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedBySAU Community1383186303.650900.jpg

I use these frequently on my semi-trucks and trailers when I swap the marker lights to LED. What I'm looking for is if anyone has wired the corner bulb in the headlight housing to be the turn signal and remove the front bumper signals?

I don't think many people would have done it because Australian road regulations require a front turn signal - and possibly 'headlight corner bulb' (= parker lights to us). So no, i don't think many would have done that.

Though, logically thinking about it, isn't it as simple as wiring the headlight loom to the parker bulb loom...? and sticking in a relay to reduce the flashing/controller unit to make it do what you want?

I don't think many people would have done it because Australian road regulations require a front turn signal - and possibly 'headlight corner bulb' (= parker lights to us). So no, i don't think many would have done that.

Though, logically thinking about it, isn't it as simple as wiring the headlight loom to the parker bulb loom...? and sticking in a relay to reduce the flashing/controller unit to make it do what you want?

That's what I'd figure what to do also. Was hoping someone had an idea how to wire it and what type of relays or controller to use. Probably utilize the front bumper light wire??? Maybe add another bulb in the corner??? Maybe use a two filament bulb instead of the 194???

Funny thing is when I buy a car I look at three big things. Is the body perfect? Is the interior perfect? The electrical all working? I could care less about buying a car with horrible mechanical because I can fix it. Body... don't have the patience. Interior...extremely hard to find the small screw covers on a grab handle. Electrical... extremely difficult to trouble shoot hundreds of feet of wire for shorts.

I've been researching aftermarket ideas for something that might work. Had an idea to use a double filament bulb with some kind of new socket for it, install it somehow without destroying my housings, and using the front bumper wire to make it blink. What do you think?

I think that you know a lot more than me about this, and my own electrical knowledge is very limited. With this in mind, you really do have the freedom to do whatever you want, just make it work! Double filaments sound good - or use LED bulbs!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cole, You've mentioned nearly all my ideas. I ran a two bulb setup in my R32, as there was a bulb socket right behind the corner bulge. The only other method I can think of would be to use your turn signal wire to interrupt (via a relay) your marker light circuit. Here in Australia we have to have separate indicator lenses, but over there in the U.S. you guys, on your older cars had the exact set up your after (look at old mustangs & camaros) where the front marker lights & 1 of the tail light lense would flash for indicators.

If I were looking at doing the same thing, I would be tracking down & looking at wiring diagrams for vehicles like I mentioned. Failing that, I'd actually try & actually look at a car that has that sort of set up & trace it..

Good luck, It can be done!

Hey Cole, You've mentioned nearly all my ideas. I ran a two bulb setup in my R32, as there was a bulb socket right behind the corner bulge. The only other method I can think of would be to use your turn signal wire to interrupt (via a relay) your marker light circuit. Here in Australia we have to have separate indicator lenses, but over there in the U.S. you guys, on your older cars had the exact set up your after (look at old mustangs & camaros) where the front marker lights & 1 of the tail light lense would flash for indicators.

If I were looking at doing the same thing, I would be tracking down & looking at wiring diagrams for vehicles like I mentioned. Failing that, I'd actually try & actually look at a car that has that sort of set up & trace it..

Good luck, It can be done!

Brilliant! Thanks!