SAU Community

tailshaft and components strengthening

hey guys

just a question

is there a way of strengthening the tailshaft and its components (ie...front and rear uni, yolk centersupport bearing ect...)

i ask because last night with a quick run with a modded WRX

i grabbed second on rev limit and dumped it hard on boost (only10psi)

and SMASH absolutley destryed the front uni and actually damaged the floor pan

(whoops 120km/h and 6000rpm and a lump of metal belting away under the car will do that)

i was just wondering i have a new tailshaft coming but what is going to stop it from happening next time

i know obviously not smashing gears but when i eventually get to circut race the stupid car i want reliable times

so is there away to strenghen these parts

or buy already strengthened parts or have custom parts made????

please help

cheers

matt

thanks for all the help (sarcasim)

lol.......

solution having a custom tailshaft made with the strongest possible uni's out there (ie.. truck)

and a soild one piece alloy shaft cut to custo lenght

should be as strong as hell and lighter to boot

cheers

matt

ive got a 1 piece alloy tailshaft behind a r33 box in my r32, and its definitly lighter than the std 2 piece setup. Easily pick it up with 1 hand....

And it was made by?

And it cost?

:)

hey guys

just a question

is there a way of strengthening the tailshaft and its components (ie...front and rear uni, yolk centersupport bearing ect...)

i ask because last night with a quick run with a modded WRX

i grabbed second on rev limit and dumped it hard on boost (only10psi)

and SMASH absolutley destryed the front uni and actually damaged the floor pan

(whoops  120km/h  and  6000rpm and a lump of metal belting away under the car will do that)

i was just wondering i have a new tailshaft coming but what is going to stop it from happening next time

i know obviously not smashing gears but when i eventually get to circut race the stupid car i want reliable times

so is there away to strenghen these parts

or buy already strengthened parts or have custom parts made????

please help

cheers

matt

Hi Matt; what tailshaft does it have in there now? We have NEVER broken a GTR tailshaft or uni in any of the race cars.:)

Hi Matt; what tailshaft does it have in there now?  We have NEVER broken a GTR tailshaft or uni in any of the race cars.;)

SK i have no idea as you would know all tailshafts in imported Nissans have pressed in uni's when i pulled mine out the front uni it look like it had been modified

silvia0042pr.th.jpg

this uni joint is actually smaller to the rest of the joints

which has led me to believe that it was modified with some aussie car like a datsun 180b or 1600 front yoke and inu because it so small

silvia0031zq.th.jpg

the actuall shaft looks modded to as there are clumps of weld that dont look like the rest of the shaft

but all is good now prob sorted for now but will still be getting a tailshaft made

will post the places name if they do a good jobbut for now i just want to drive i missed it

any more suggestions

cheers matt

And it was made by?

And it cost?

:D

Cant answer that Sk, as i bought it as part of a package out of a r32. (consisting of r33 box, tailshaft, modified speedo drive and x member). It did have a sticker on the shaft from who made it, but its not on there now.

i bought it all for $1600 about a year ago now....

Cubes has seen it, and its damn light.......