SAU Community

HKS 2540 on RB25, what to expect.

Fast31

Hi, i have a rb25 ready to replace my RB20.

Its running standard internals, with a match ported and polished head, Haltech computer, FMIC, 3 inch exhaust, etc,

i was going to go a big turbo and external gate but i cant be bothered now. A mate mentioned the HKS2540.

anyone know what power they are good for with the above setup on 1.3 or 1.4 bar, and when will it come on boost.

Good choice, I have one on my RB25DET, Since they are one of the largest low mount turbos, you wont get hassled (too much) by the cops.. They already have steel wheels and are ball bearing turbos... Brand new they cost around 4500 - 5000. (Many ballistic Jap Street GTR's use 2540's, where as the Drag GTR's use 3240's..)

My car isin't tuned yet, but is making 300 HP (220KW) at the rear wheels on 15 psi.. Once It is fully tuned and the boost set to 22psi, The Turbo can push out 280KW at the wheels... It would be struggling to make much more than that... The 2540 is a very responsive turbo (relativley) and spools up quickly..

I have a full 600+ Engine (Forgies/rods/cranks/o-ringed) etc And I could easily run 25psi and a bigger turbo.. (400KW at the rears!) but It would be good for the track only... Thats why Im keeping the 2540..

Details of my setup can be found at

www.geocities.com/r33forsale

Guest INASNT
The Turbo can push out 280KW at the wheels

Dont think even at 2 bar.

You have all the good internals so y u still playing with a low mount internal gated turbo like the 2540??

U should strap on a high mount 3037 or 3040 atleast!

Because, I spent over 10K getting the engine done & running a bit low on cash - The car is for sale... a 3040 would easily make over 300KW atw, but isint all that responsive, its not terrible, but a fair bit more laggy, and as you can imagine traction is already a problem with the current power output.. (To fully utilise the 3040, potential, I would have to get nittos, softer the hard suspension - for better squatting off the line, and the cost of the turbo & manifold - All that would cost at least 7K!!)

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by mose

Because, I spent over 10K getting the engine done & running a bit low on cash - The car is for sale... a 3040 would easily make over 300KW atw, but isint all that responsive,  its not terrible, but a fair bit more laggy, and as you can imagine traction is already a problem with the current power output.. (To fully utilise the 3040, potential, I would have to get nittos, softer the hard suspension - for better squatting off the line, and the cost of the turbo & manifold - All that would cost at least 7K!!)

I hear what u r saying coz i just spent around 10g on mods 2 and am getting a custom garrett 550-600hp turbo made to my specs.

The 2540 will never make enough power to cause the stock internals any problems. U will be quite surprised how responsive a high mount 3037 with custom manifold is compared to your 2540 on the stock manifold.

I will make u the same deal as steve :D

UR right about the 2540, the stock engine will handle it with no dramas... BUt I was intent on have a super reliable car - peace of mind - (EXPENSIVE peace of mind!!)

He he - out of curiousity, what how big would be "cash adjustment" be - ( My new super tough motor has only 2,500 k on it & I have reciepts for 11K...)

At the end of the day, its your engine, tell us what you think would be fair. If you are selling your car you are mad to leave a fully prepped engine in there - what is the asking price for your car? Also, why are you doing the turbo if you are selling it? (your car)

Steve,

Im not planning on selling the prepped engine, I was just curious about the interest on it.. I never said I was doing the turbo either(That was INASNT), I was commenting that my car is capable of handling a more powerful turbo (internals etc) AND commenting on the GT2540'sin this thread...

INASNT,

To give you a rough idea of how my engine costed that much, here is what I had done (that comes to mind) -

Forged Pistons, Rods, Crank, O-Ringed, Chem Cleaned & crack tested block, Sard Injectors, High Flow Radiator, Full Head Service, ARP bolts , New Gasket sets, Balancing, NGK Plugs, Fuel Reg, and LABOUR etc - I have a full recipet that I will scan in (for info purposes - Its around here somewhere!) BUT, I agree that I SHOULD have done the engine work in Sydney or something.. (It was done here in the ACT, by Skyline Performance, Mitchell - which turned out to be more convenient, but more expensive )

mose, sorry - chalk that up to assumption :( With forged pistons, prepped rods and crank, balance etc you should be good for 25lbs+ boost with the right ecu etc. Seems a shame you dont get a GT30 or similar and wind in 20 or so pounds and have a blast before you sell it - god I would be itching:)