SAU Community

Wtf Is This M8

PickleNick

Hey chumps.

Can anyone identify, what this is (see attached images), i CBF'd trying to trace it back to the ECU.

It has JECS stamped on it, if that helps.

I got rear ended about 3 months ago, got the car back, dead battery, gah, then once i got the car running it wouldn't idle, sometimes it would idle for about 30 seconds drop around 650rpm then just die, cough cough cough.

After cleaning out the AAC valve, which kind of helped it still didn't fix the issue.

Then i remembered the beater mentioning that he found a plug loose in the boot, i just ignored it, assuming it was from the antenna which i ripped out ages ago.

However i plugged the lil bastard in and what do ya know, my car idles again, however to the effect that it now hunts, which it never used to before.

But if anyone with an insight into this lil device, would make my day, because it's given me the shits.

Keep it Sidewayz kidz :D

I personally think its some sort of resistor as it has a moulded rubber backing. But i'm just spitballing.

post-81730-0-66019200-1325667501_thumb.jpg

post-81730-0-63024600-1325667507_thumb.jpg

post-81730-0-24705900-1325667512_thumb.jpg

Looks like a fuel pump dropping resistor. It slows the speed down of the fuel pump under idle conditions most likely for noise, emissions and wear on the pump. Sounds like a plausable reason for your fault thats for sure.

Have a look if there is one in your engine bay. Passenger side on the strut tower housing. If there isn't, they may have re-wired it into the boot.

Edit: That might not be exactly it, but it's the exact shape and appears to be the same size. So as above, I'm guessing it's fuel related.

Edited by Truffles

ah k, my m8 who had done a rb25neo conversion in his r32 4 door, said its the injectors resistor :S, said he had to put the r34 one in for it to work.

Fuel pump dropping resister does seem to make more sense, cause it gives the same characteristics of a car that has no fuel.

All is well however, car is running beautifullly, the AAC has decided to resurrect itself , i cleaned the AFM and its not hunting any longer, and is much more repsonsive off the line now, no hesitation.

I highly recommend doing it it's made the car feel new again.

Thanks anyways guys :) Have an awesome new year!!