SAU Community

Grom Audio Unit Usb Version For V35

Hi guys

I just planning to add a Grom unit to my 2003 V35, my car is boss with nav.

Been searching in the forum and seems that many guys has their GROM units installed, but they are all iPod version, could I please ask if anyone know that the USB version would work?

The one that I am after is this

www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/nissan_usb_ipod_adapter_direct_digital_interface.html

Thanks a lot

Unit you want is the usb2 with the nis02-cdc cable. So it's the non sat nav one that plugs into the CD changer port on the Bose head unit

Thank you so much for ur help mate,could I pls ask are you using the USB2 unit or iPod/BT one? Do you need to do any other things after plugging the Unit to the radio? Such as reprogram the radio or so?

Cos I've contacted the GROM team in US, and they said the USB unit may not work but the iPod unit will do, they don't know for sure though :( but I want the USB playback so bad

Cheers

Edited by 9junes
  • Like 1

The usb2 unit works perfectly. As long as it is flashed with the correct grom version aka the nis02-CDC firmware. At that point the unit is plug and play. And pressing the CD button a second time will change to using the grom unit as it believes it is an external CD stacker. The usb2 unit allows the use of all accessories. I purchases the Bluetooth and aux 3.5mm cable but you can also get the iPod cable. Along with being able to use USB flash drives or connect to an android device directly.

FYI my device arrived with the incorrect firmware as much as I tried to get the correct one preloaded. It is totally reflashable at your end but I ran in to a slight issue with the unit not reflashing with cheap USB pen drives. Purchased a new sandisk cruzer drive and worked perfectly

The usb2 unit works perfectly. As long as it is flashed with the correct grom version aka the nis02-CDC firmware. At that point the unit is plug and play. And pressing the CD button a second time will change to using the grom unit as it believes it is an external CD stacker. The usb2 unit allows the use of all accessories. I purchases the Bluetooth and aux 3.5mm cable but you can also get the iPod cable. Along with being able to use USB flash drives or connect to an android device directly.

Thank you so much mate, mine unit just arrived and i will install it soon, will share the exp if anyone interested :)

• 10 months later...

Thank you so much mate, mine unit just arrived and i will install it soon, will share the exp if anyone interested :)

Hey mate, I know your last msg was almost a year ago, but how did you go with the Grom unit? Did you have to re-install any firmware? I am planning to order one directly from US and get it delivered by mail and hoping to get it installed by Cronulla Car sound. I'm getting the GROM BT3 with the 3.5mm aux cable.

I just got my USB2-Plus unit along with a bluetooth extention and aux/usb charging cable from carputer-shop.co.uk. I installed it in my car last night but still have the dash out to play around with it some more.

I have it plugged into my cd changer port at the back of the radio using the nis02 cable and wired to constant. Playing from usb works fine and will be my main use for the unit, i'll need to sort the folders on the usb a bit better as it's a pain to try and skip down the list when you have a few artists/albums in folders using one virtual disc. I'd rather keep the first disc for random music in one directory and use the remaining five discs for artists.

Random works well and pressing skip continues to play randomly while still allowing you to press back and go back to the previous song. It will only play one virtual disc randomly whether it's set to all cd random or cd random.

I couldn't get folder/track names to work and pressing display did nothing so i tried to update the firmware to the lastest "Nissan / Infiniti 03-10 (with text)" but it wouldn't work at all after that so i had to load up the "Nissan / Infiniti 99-07 (CD, No text)" which got it going again. So i take it the cd changer grom unit on the g35 has no text? In my case mine is the 2005 model stereo. I tried to play with the config file http://www.gromaudio.com/support/usb-config.html, but no luck.

Bluetooth works well and drops the music to play a ringtone immediately. Music resumes as soon as you hang up. Streaming from your phone will work straight away and drop whatever is currently playing, no need to change modes.

I set usb android streaming to work with any app using the config setting "a= 0" from here http://www.indashpc.org/vbullettin/viewtopic.php?p=5929, so now i don't need to use their AALinQ app. It won't support steering controls or track titles after the change but it will allow you to play youtube etc through the stereo.

Still have some tweaking to do and if anyone has insight on track titles that would be great. Also, cycling the repeat button a few times triggers my google now voice calling through bluetooth yet the mic doesn't pick up my voice. Anyone lese experience this?

How do you engage the unit?

I have the cd error fo thing and I want to add the grom unit but I am worried because it is always searching for a disk that I will not be able to get into the mode

Does the grom cable hook into the back of the bose unit itself?

Plugs into a spare port in the back of the stereo. Engaging should be fine as it thinks it's an external cd stacker, you press the cd button and it will either cycle through cd/cd changer if you actually have a cd in the stereo or it will go straight to cd changer if there's no cd's inserted.

You should be able to cycle past the internal cd stacker

f**k that might be the problem, it seems there is a cd stuck in there hence the error

Heres hoping

Edited by Greaver

• 1 month later...

Never had an issue that turning the car off and on couldn't fix. Usually just pressing the disc button 2 times quickly would reset things. Just make sure you don't leave the flash file on the USB drive once it's flashed. Otherwise it can cause issues if it keeps reflashing accidently

after the radio unit hangs in CD Changer mode (the display showing track number with minutes and seconds freezes and no controls i.e. volume, seek, next does not respond) turning the car on and off after the unit hangs on me doesnt fix the problem. Usually i leave the car over night and the next morning i will be able to access the CD Changer mode again for a couple of minutes before it hangs again....

I had heaps of problems with my unit freezing and no longer recognizing buttons properly and no matter how many times i pulled it apart it would happen again after about 20 minutes. After some emailing i got the 28 firmware file from Grom and now it functions perfectly. Not sure if the firmware is now up on the website as it seems like it's down for me but at the time only 27 was available for the Infiniti/Nissan No Text. If people want it i could upload it.

All they said for 28 was bug fixes but i had a lot more than just a few bugs. At the time i was also on holiday and had driven over 1000kms with the faulty unit so getting the fix saved me crashing into a tree out of frustration on the way back. Everything works fine for me including usb, bluetooth, hands free (a little quiet), android usb streaming.

My config has only:

a= 0 (for direct android usb streaming, no app)
g= 15 (mic gain at highest)
v= 240 (usb audio at lowest to try and fix the huge difference in volume going from usb music to phone call)

I had heaps of problems with my unit freezing and no longer recognizing buttons properly and no matter how many times i pulled it apart it would happen again after about 20 minutes. After some emailing i got the 28 firmware file from Grom and now it functions perfectly. Not sure if the firmware is now up on the website as it seems like it's down for me but at the time only 27 was available for the Infiniti/Nissan No Text. If people want it i could upload it.

All they said for 28 was bug fixes but i had a lot more than just a few bugs. At the time i was also on holiday and had driven over 1000kms with the faulty unit so getting the fix saved me crashing into a tree out of frustration on the way back. Everything works fine for me including usb, bluetooth, hands free (a little quiet), android usb streaming.

My config has only:

v= 240 (usb audio at lowest to try and fix the huge difference in volume going from usb music to phone call)

Glad to hear firmware 28 resolved your issues! unfortunately it has not for me... GROM support send me the v28 file as it does not appear to be available on the website. Should I get an RMA on this unit or is it my head unit ?

My config has only:

Hi Scuttee,

I am trying to buy the grom unit for my 2003 V35 premium coupe. Before I order one online, I wanted to ensure that I am ordering the correct one. Is this the one that you have on your V35? BT3. http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/nissan_infiniti_aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter_-_sat_emulation.html

Also, what is the CDC Niso2 cable? Do I need to buy that as well? By reading from the previous posts, I understand that once I receive my Grom unit, I will need to do a firmware update with version 28.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Cheers