SAU Community

Rx 7 Reliability

eddy300zx

hi guys

down at my uncles workshop is a 650hp rx7 with a 20b rotary in it and a rather large turbo you know.. all the fruit but its been in an accident like the engine is fine but the front of the chassis is screwed. now im wondering if its worth spending the 8 grand on it mainly due the engine being seriously worked on and just finding a half cut, my uncle reckons dont touch it because you dont know whats been done to it but still... 8 grand for 650hp oh and its got drifting suspension the one where you can adjust the camber or something

Did they put ceramic apex seals in it?

IIRC the apex seals are the first go, if they skimped whilst rebuilding it I wouldn't expect stockers to last that long at that kind of power. They also chew petrol like theres no tomorrow.

I'd be asking for dyno proof of said 650hp if I was considering it.

That said if you stick the motor in the smallest car you can and your bound for a heap of fun :yes:

So what model are we talking about here? FB,D,C?

Its a case of the classic risk return trade off here. One one hand you might do ok and have and insane car for damn good money. On the other hand you might end up getting it in a new front cut then it exploding on you (not uncommon with high HP engines) the the car falling apart around you and haveing to shell out a constant stream of meony for a car that is never on the road. If you have a daily driver and a but of spare cash flow id say you could sorta go for it if you have a little bit of a daring side. If not probably not a good idea.

Also dont forget rebuilding a rotor is cheaper compared to a piston car

All the support gear is there by the look of it - be prepared to piss away lots of money for fuel :ermm:

well i rang the guy up an found out its just a 13b rotary which was depressing says he got 650hp on 30psi with race fuel. what a let down *sigh* so im going to pass but if anyones interested just pm me. apparently he goes on alot of anti lag cruises