SAU Community

Lcd Sreen And Sound System Connected To A Pc

WiDoW MaK3r

i want to connect a PC, tuch screen and maybe a sound system up but i dont know how i would go about getting a power connection

i am a computer freek who loves speed and style of a skyline (thanks need for speed :laugh:) :sorcerer: but i dont know much about cars :S

even tho i'm getting a skyline for my first car lol (in research atm lol)

i need some kinda connector that'll handel a 450w power supply

because a basic PC cant haddle what i want( i want a powerful 1 as in GPU's and WAN)

if you point me in the right place to find some thing that would be grate :)

thankz >_<:laugh:

The popular option is a 300-400 watt special PSU that runs a direct 12v feed into a PC setup.

If you search google for "carputer", you'll find US sites dedicated to these kinds of installs.

Anyway, the PSU has a built-in power-off delay that automatically shuts your windows pc down when the ignition is turned off. I think that's more important than getting a really beefy PSU and trying to run crazy parts.

Touchscreens are USB, so you just need to get one of those and some extension cables.

PSU we talked about.

Sound... you can do 3.5mm stereo minijack (soundcard) to RCA cables into some input of your head unit, or the same into an amp which then runs your speakers. Not all HU's have RCA inputs, usually only outputs.

If you REALLY want to run a full-sized PC with ATI/nvidia GPU's and multiple SATA/IDE 3.5" disks, DVDROM, and stuff like that, then you'll just need to buy a really powerful inverter from JayCar. I'm pretty sure they do up to 500-600watt. That takes 12v to 240v (PSU) and then your PSU converts it back to 12v.. Seems like a waste though.

A small-form factor case and MB with built in video, sound, WLAN, USB etc with a notebook HDD and DVDROM can run off a 200watt and still play movies and render graphics etc... Only reason I could see you needing a powerful GPU is if you want to actually play PC games in your car... but with a touchscreen monitor that would be pretty hard anyway.

kewl thankz mate

now all i realy need is to find out where to put the dam thing :S

well i need some air flow... so the boot isn't the best place :S

maybe under the one of the seats :angry:

i may need a shuttle PC or a bit from a server :laugh:

thankz again :PBJ:

theres nothing wrong with a laptop with a broken screen (aprt from the screen)

i'll just have to find some plans on how to do it ....

or get some one else to put it in lol

well the thing is that come carputers cost $600(ebay) to $4000+ :)

but if u spent $1000 on a laptop that is broken but is a high powerd one then u'll save some money :)

a laptop is better idea because it use's less room and has usb, external screen port, and the best thing is it's cheap :laugh:

well looks like i'll be having fun :)

hmmm... i bet start looking for plans...

:D

theres nothing wrong with a laptop with a broken screen (aprt from the screen)

i'll just have to find some plans on how to do it ....

or get some one else to put it in lol

well the thing is that come carputers cost $600(ebay) to $4000+ :)

but if u spent $1000 on a laptop that is broken but is a high powerd one then u'll save some money :)

a laptop is better idea because it use's less room and has usb, external screen port, and the best thing is it's cheap :laugh:

well looks like i'll be having fun :)

hmmm... i bet start looking for plans...

:D

You'll probably have to hard wire a shutdown controller to the on/off switch of the laptop, and rig it to run off an inverter. Probably the least efficient way of doing it, but it's cheap if you've got a broken laptop around the place.

Right now i'm just saving up for a epia motherboard setup, at least that way i don't drain the heck out of my battery and can install it wherever I like.

Yes, the laptop is the other way. I'm still holding onto my old one to do just this... if I ever get around to it.

As said above, the problem with starting it up and shutting it down is a pain. I'm pretty sure you could wire some cables to the contacts on the motherboard, and then run them to the front of the car to the button, but it's going to be a hassle to shut it down everytime you leave the car.

Anyway, you've gone from super-expensive graphics card full PC's to using a broken laptop. Everything has already been done before, you just need to work out which way you want to do it. =-]

i realy dont want to put a full desktop pc in the car (i wouldn't mind the power of the Gfx car ;))

but its a car after all and space is an issuse so.... yeah

a laptop is the best way to go.. may cost ya as little as $100 or $1000.. just depends on whos selling it and what they know about computers...

man who knows nothing... $1000 "oh it just had a smale bump and its ok"

man who knows alot... $100 "its just plane stuffed"

lol

with the shut down issue... it's easy if you put a power connector in where u switch it off ur self or...

some thing (i dont know what it was) in the thingy witch make the other thingy make something thats a thingy turn off lol :huh:

i'll see waht i can find around

but it will have to wait till i get a skyline lol (soon but with the new laws in vic :S beats me lol)

atm i'm working on a CD play and turning it in to a pc (if u want a look click here :))

i'll get that pc working then the car :sick:

thanks pllz u gave me ideas :yes:

well i want to be a pc to put in my modded pc case at min cost to me

like say.... $20 lol

any way.... this site is to do with skylines and cars stuff lol and not pc's

altho i'm a nerd when it comes to pc hardware...lol

:(