SAU Community

Jaycar Iebc Questions

benro2

How does R&R feel, mine just seams to stop pulling and then takes off again.

It feels like you're putting your foot on and off the accelerator really quickly, and you lose a fair bit of power. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've gotten a loud pop from the exhaust on a relatively hot day, on cooler days nothing much happens.

yeah that's it, pulls hard to 4500, then flatens a bit and then takes off like somone lite a firecracker under it's a s s, from 5500 onwards.

Yeah i don't get much popoing or anything, but i certianly fell it more when cold, as my boost controller does NOT controll boost well. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just an update, I tried resoldering and drilling a 0.6mm hole in the restrictor and it's *still* boosting over 10psi at some rpm! When I tested it, the outside temp was probably around 22-25C and it was definitely going into R&R pretty badly. I held it all the way to redline and it felt like less power than stock, even though it was indicating 11psi (down to maybe 9psi above 5500rpm), so I think R&R was occurring all the way to 7000rpm.

I'm pretty sure I'll need a new boost map, however Sydneykid's base map that I'm using now has a solenoid injectory duty cycle of up to 90% so there's not a whole lot of room to move in regards to actually reducing boost. I'm not sure what will happen when I remove the R&R - will it produce even more boost? Or in other words, is the R&R limiting boost?

The only thing I can think of is the air is escaping out the sides between the restrictor and the T-piece, but I've twisted some copper wire around the T-piece to act as a clamp and it's on there reasonably tightly. I can still pull it off with one hand and a bit of force, but it's not like it's going to fall off by itself. I also thought that possibly the solder could have come out, but after I pulled out the restrictor that I resoldered and redrilled last time, it wasn't that.

Any ideas? I'm pretty stumped right about now...

Oh yeah, one more thing, I've noticed that after fitting this Jaycar stuff, my car sort of seems to misfire when idling. It seems like it's when the A/C compressor cuts in, like just one cylinder that makes the car jolt a bit, but a couple of days ago when it was left idling for a long time it was doing it every 20 secs or so. After I started driving it seemed to mostly go away. Could this be some fouled spark plugs, maybe caused by my testing in R&R?

If the plugs are old or gapped wide (more than 0.8mm), then chances are you have fouled them with the R&R running. Stop the R&R and the misfiring will stop.

The most common problem on IEBC’s I find is that guys put the vent in the wrong place . Where have you got the vent placed?

It should be between the T piece and the inlet pipe to the turbo, after the AFM.

Not between the solenoid and the T piece.

Not between the T piece and the wastegate actuator.

Not between the boost supply (inlet pipe to the engine) and the solenoid.

:P Cheers :D

If the plugs are old or gapped wide (more than 0.8mm), then chances are you have fouled them with the R&R running. Stop the R&R and the misfiring will stop.

The most common problem on IEBC’s I find is that guys put the vent in the wrong place . Where have you got the vent placed?

It should be between the T piece and the inlet pipe to the turbo, after the AFM.

Not between the solenoid and the T piece.

Not between the T piece and the wastegate actuator.

Not between the boost supply (inlet pipe to the engine) and the solenoid.

:D Cheers :O

I have no idea what gap the plugs are. They are just what was on the car when I bought it. When you say the misfiring will stop, do you mean after I've bought new plugs, or after a while without going into R&R they will clean themselves?

I'm pretty sure I've got the vent/restrictor (same thing?) in the correct place. I've attached a pic (sorry about the quality, don't have a digital camera). The T-piece is connected up slightly differently to what I've seen before, but it should still do the same thing (?). The turbo inlet pipe is the one with the small plastic connection coming off it, which is underneath the bigger pipe with the top small tube connected between it and the top solenoid connection?

post-11668-1161849129.jpg