SAU Community

Cam Cover Paint Question

sky017

im in the stages of painting my rocker covers . and i was thinking of doing the cam cover , i wanted to know will the paint be able to hold on this?

also the black coil pack cover? could that be painted with the same stuff even though its plastic - or would it eventually just peal off cause its not metal?

cheers

you will want to work out if you want it smooth or not, currently they are not, if you want it smooth then a primer will be required to fill the gaps

sand that back and apply paint (using a primer/filler in a can wil ensure it is primed sufficiently)

cam gear cover is metal thats painted, 400 wet dry and paint straight over it

primer and paint stick to plastic without issue, may not be completely scratch resistant without a primer though

alright thanks for the help guys . i will use some primer on the plastic coil pack cover , and sand it to 800 gritt wet n dry which i did with the rocker covers .

also i wanted to ask is the cam cover hard to remove?

alright thanks for the help guys . i will use some primer on the plastic coil pack cover , and sand it to 800 gritt wet n dry which i did with the rocker covers .

also i wanted to ask is the cam cover hard to remove?

remove the crank angle sensor

then undo the 5 bolts holding the front panel of the cam gear cover. be sure to mark where the CAS is set at so you can put it back to the original settings

• 3 months later...
remove the crank angle sensor

then undo the 5 bolts holding the front panel of the cam gear cover. be sure to mark where the CAS is set at so you can put it back to the original settings

isnt this pointless as you end up spraying over your marks anyway?

isnt this pointless as you end up spraying over your marks anyway?

not really, as i would be taping up the rubber section so as not to paint over it, always looks tacky if people paint over this area - as its rubber and the paint peels off ..then you run the risk of if flaking off the main panel as well.

umm you should remove the rubber piece (it slips out). tape on out side to show the position, make the small mark on the inside, paint it. When dry put a piece of tape on the outside corresponding where the inside mark is. that way when you refit it all you have to do is remove the tape, if it is dry no probs :laugh:

also the more coats the better. mine had 3 coats primer, 3 of colour and 2 of clear :)

i got high temp engine paint, as im doing cambelt cover, cam covers and plenum, should i still use primer and clear?

i got high temp engine paint, as im doing cambelt cover, cam covers and plenum, should i still use primer and clear?

used 3 good coats of primer, about a 7-8 coats of colour and 2-3 of clear,

PREP WORK GUYS!

my finish is very let down by the preperation time, used a 200 grit to rough it up, a 320 to smooth it, a 800 to ready it for primer, a 2000 after primer before paint (wipe down thoughly every sand too!!) and long even strokes of paint finishing the spray OFF the item

post-20826-1176772602.jpg

post-20826-1176772702.jpg