SAU Community

Motorvation 2009 - Bridging The Gap

DOGBOX

"Lads, i've opened this thread to put our collective heads together regarding the future of Motorvation for the import and late model fraternity.

PLEASE DON'T FILL THIS THREAD WITH GARBAGE. KEEP IT LEGIT ON TOPIC AND FACTUAL. I DON'T WANT A BITCH SESSION I WANT HONEST OPINIONS ON WHAT WE CAN DO TO IMPROVE IT FOR OUR SCENE!!

***mods can you make this a sticky if at all possible***

I've made contact with MV organisers and will be meeting with them to discuss matters further.

We can make this bigger and better for all involved but requires genuine enthusiasm and organisation.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE KEEP IT ON TOPIC AND FACTUAL.

I intend on joining up relevent forum groups and obtaining similar feedback from all.

So my first question is, which groups should i approach????"

regards

Jme

Jamie,

On a number of occasions we have approached the Motorplex about improving events for the Import Scene, and on a number of occasions we've been dissapointed with the lack of interest from the event organisers.

Having said that, I think it would be great to have additional focus on the late model/import scene at Motorvation. Problem being, with 1000+entries and 800 spaces, is there much room for our scene to grow, as the traditional focus has always been on Ford/Holden/Hot Rods etc.

Would it perhaps be better to have a similar event with the primary focus on late model cars, rather than trying to share the event with the traditional group ?

Although the TopSide area was a significant improvment over the Speedway In-field of last year, I still think that they show would be better off concentrating on higher quality rather than quantity.

The driving events this year were an improvement, although completely dominated by imports (including yourself), but I'd like to see a skid-pan at the center of the speedway rather than grass.

There are a heap of Import groups whom you see at Autosalon, but don't see at Motorvation, I guess we need to determine why they don't attend.

Cheers

Paul

At the end of the day Motorvation isn't about 'our scene', but 'their scene'...

Taken from Motorvation website:

Motorvation - One of Australia's greatest street machine, hot rod and custom car events at the Perth Motorplex will again be held over 2 huge days in January 2008.

This year we will celebrate the 22nd Annual Motorvation and have planned an even bigger and better show than last year’s awesome event.

The Motorvation event management team are committed to maintain Motorvation’s high regard in the Car Show arena. The team appreciates your comments and suggestions and there will some changes to various aspects of the show which will help to make your time at Motorvation 22 even more enjoyable.

While the driving events are an attraction for the thousands that attend Motorvation each year, for many others it is the opportunity to wander around admiring some of the countries best examples of Street Machines, Street Rods and other Custom vehicles.

Motorvation 22 will not only feature some of Perth's finest Street Machine, Hot Rod and Custom vehicles but as well as some of Australia's best direct from Canberra's Summernats.

Because one of the unique features of Motorvation is the ability to not only see these great vehicles in a static environment but to also watch them cruise around the Perth Motorplex and compete in events including the SOUNDS XPLOSIVE dB Drag Racing and the popular Motorvation Dyno shootout, IC Chill Driving Events and Hankook Burnout competition makes Motorvation one of Australia's Greatest Street Machine and Custom Car Shows.

There is NOTHING about imports / japanese cars in the above, and at the end of the day there never will be. I vaugely remember the days where you'd hardly see Jap cars at MV, however probaly the past 3-4 years the number of jap cars has increase significantly as they've realised they can do well at MV.

I think the problem here is not about Motorvation and its events, but the treatment of jap/import owners at Motorvation. If this is the case, this then becomes more of a one on one / personal thing that needs to be discussed by the parties involved..not the entire car scene.

When you say 'improving events for the Import Scene', what else are you looking at? The jap cars clean out the driving events, have every opportunity to do well in the skids (s13s/s15, rwd Skylines etc. though cubes always win hands down for burnouts), can put out good numbers on the dyno. What more do you want??

End of the day, you can't make everyone happy and as mentioned MV was designed to cater for a select group of vehicles and remains that way. They wouldn't care if import car clubs boycotted the events, because there will still be cars on show that fit THEIR criteria and most important THEIR audience.

The reason why you don't see many jap / import clubs @ MV is because most are a bunch of ricers and would get totally owned, or rejected at Motorvation. If you have a Lancer, with 20" rims, Evo bodykit and fluffy dice you get accepted into Autosalon, however your application for Motorvation would make it into the paper shredder pretty quickly.

Sure a few V8s are making their way onto the Autosalon scene. Majority of the V8s I've seen at Perth Autosalon are probably only capable of winning four trophies out of the ones on offer (highest 8cyl hp, best holden, best ford and top hp) as most of Perth's 'show and go' Aussie cars stay away and save their cars for the Ford and Holden Hot Rod show and MV.

On the Autosalon site, they mention they 'cater to owners of late-modified vehicles hailing from Europe, Japan and Australia' but look closer into the site and you would see mainly photos of Japanese cars. This is why you don't see the Commodore Car Club of WA etc at Autosalon as they don't waste their time doing shows catering mainly for Japanese cars. Common sense I'd say...

I was watching one of only a few Ignition DVDs I've got at home, and noticed an event over east called 'Nightshift'. This show from what I could tell looked like it caters for the best show cars from both jap, import, v8, hot rods etc.

Maybe create a show that starts and runs all through the night (keeping the show cars clean for a good period) and ends the following day with burnouts, drags etc.