SAU Community

Pod Filter Location (smic)

Triptych

Alright guys I apoligise if this is a stupid idea as I don't know much (if anything) to do with tunning of a car. My skyline is helping me learn but I was just wondering if you have a FMIC what sort of problems would you have trying to run the Pod filter where the standard SMIC is? I understand you would have to box it in but the original brackets from the SMIC should be good enough to bolt a box to which should keep out the dirt and stuff from the wheel.

The main reason I was wondering was because if you boxed in your pod where the SMIC is you would then be getting alot of the air coming through your front bar with not alot blocking the air flow. The only problems I can think of is maybe the longer piping could play havic with the AFM but if you leave it in the normal location hopefully it will be fine. The only other major problem that I can think of is water coming through the front bar and into the pod. I can't think of any material that will absorb water but not expand causing good airflow even when wet.

So is there any reason I don't see people run their pod filters in the SMIC location, You already have holes cut from the SMIC to run your pipe (as long as your front mount piping doesn't cause issues) and I am guessing you would get colder and higher airflows in that location then under your bonnet.

If it is a stupid idea I apoligise as I said I am only just learning and would prefer feedback on idea's before I even considering designing them.

the few r32gtst's ive seen with pods in where the smic was aren't boxed up as that would no doubt defeat the purpose of relocationg the pod.

maybe some mesh grill stuff to stop from rocks damaging the filter.

take a look at a stock smic that has come out of a skyline.

it has dents, chips, rocks, bugs, cat fur :) , and all kinds of shit.

you really want a put your air filter there? the only thing that is stopping your engine being filled with all this crap?

Just use the stock air box, cut a 100mm hole under it, and put a PVC pipe from there, through the hole int he chassis under it which was being used by the stock intercooler pipe, and a small bend to have it facing the front.

cold, air, legal air box, max performance, min fuss, min cost.

If you mount the pod filter where the SMIC was mount the pod up high as possible so its not facing directly to the front but rather into the front bar and make a shield underneath the pod and mesh up the guard that allows air out into where the wheel is.

Even tho this is a Skyline forum, and i read alot of useless and downright asshat comments about Hondas.. here we go..

My last car was an Integra Type R, and i had the pod located in a similar position, but on the other side. Had it in the bumper for 3 years and NEVER had a problem. Depending on the front bar you have will depend on the stones of course, but seeing as it is surrounded on 5 sides (side of bumper, guard liner, chassy...) its well protected. And if your worried about stones, put mesh infront of it.

The water issue:

Rain will never effect it. Pod filters, if a decent quality are more or less waterproof. But if you go drive through a foot deep puddle or river, then your asking for trouble. You just have to be carefull when/where you drive in rainy seasons! Common sence will help you survive.

The only thing i noticed on my ITR was the bottom side of the pod had a TINY bit of rust. And that is due to the filter element having steel shit holding it together. Pretty sure the APEXi ones have plastic. My Simota pod did.

The intake pipe was stone cold right to the TB, so at a guess, youd be the same to your turbo.

Id love to do the same thing to my 33, but i still have SMIC, and want a Blitz LM, so kinda doesnt help.

And just for shits and giggles.. a friend of mine had the same setup on his old DA6 Integra, playing silly buggers in the puddles, found one a little deep. Completely submerged the pod, and in turn shot a rod through the sump, and the valves out into the tappet covers, smashed 2 pistons and cracked all 4 cylinder walls :) Approx 10,000PSI with 40mm water :banana:

OOPS! hahah

Use K&N brand pod you will have no water issues as long as you don't submerge it completly.I have used K&N for years on mungrel V8's with the air cleaner totally proud of the bonnet,they can run even in mmajor rain storms as I had this set up in Mackay where it dosn't just rain it F#*#n rains.Just maintain it well with K&N service kits.These filters will outperform just about every filter type on the market even when they are dirty.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Basically the main reason I was thinking of mounting it where the SMIC is because I'm guessing there is alot more airflow getting there then what you get under your bonnet. I guess the idea could work but would have to spend abit of time messing with some form of box design to allow air flow in from front and extra airflow to flow out the back. Also maybe some form of drain vents on the bottom of the box to allow for water drainage and such.

I still have the SMIC but looking at getting a front mount soon then installing the Air Con back into my R32 (the previous owner ripped the A/C out) so I guess I will tackle it then. I was thinking about using an Apexi power intake pod but I guess I will just have to spend a few hours at the drawing board (photoshop) to design a box that will be goood for the job.

GTST: I was building the box to keep most of the crap out, I have mesh on the front bar that will keep some larger stuff out from the front and the box should protect it from the back, bottom and sides.

Mate it's your car to do as you please.

I just don't see the need for the effort for NO GAIN!!!

I sound like a broken record... BUT...

legend01 on these forums makes 306rwkw from an RB20.

using stock air box with a panel filter with a CAI pipe leading to the box.

here are some pics.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=3130474

Mines R34 GTR makes spastic amount of power and torque and uses factory R34 GTR air box with their own instake snorkel in the stock position.

You can't seriously tell me you are making more power than these.

Your money/time/choice.

Tis true what GTST says.

Although it is your car and money. Fitting a pod will get you that sucking noise from the turbo if it floats your boat.

But as GTST said, don't expect any performance gain.

There is however one issue i have read about (stress the "read about"....hence not my experience) on this forum with fitting a pod in direct outside airflow in the front bar.

When driving/cruising or hwy cruising the air is too much for the turbo to ingest, so what happens when air is being forced into the pod and the turbo isn't taking it all in? The air backs up and trys to escape again out past the AFM and pod.......a type of reversion i think it is.

And when air flows past the air flow meter twice but not all of the air is actually taken in, the car then overfuels thinking that it has more air then what it actually has, and the car will in theory hesisitate caused from this reversion, making your pleasurable driving experience really really......crap. Someone shoot me down if I got some of that wrong.

But i'm sure this doesn't happen to everyone that does this mod, and some people have no issues with it.

In my experience though, i have a pod in the engine bay, boxed off of course, and i also have a CAI routed to it. Its basically pvc pipe that goes down the hole with a 90 degree bend finished off with a big funnel. now this CAI feeds/points directly to the pod, now I have taken the pod out one day and looked underneath where the CAI feeds and it was FILTHY, full of dust, dirt and bugs all concentrated into this small circular area where the CAI feeds, literally caked on there. So now I filter the the CAI pipe with a stocking.

Imagine whats gonna happen when you just expose your pod inside the front bar. No the mesh isn't going to stop it. yes the box your thinking will help against things coming in from the back and side, but there is still a heck of a lot of dust feeding in through the front.

Stick with your airbox. If you must have a pod, put it in the engine bay like everybody else and box it off.

I had mine in this location with an alloy box (no base) around it. Pod got a little wet when it rained. In theory one would think it’ll get more cool air, but the road dirt, rain and small rocks tend to damage the pod filter pretty quick

R32018.jpg

Edited by Nismo_Boy

I would keep the standard airbox and stuff but the car came with a pod on it so I don't have the standard setup and with amount some people are charging for the standard setup + good filter + CAI setup it would work out cheaper to buy a better pod get some pipe and fibreglass my own box.

I can keep the pod in its current location and some problems have been mentioned with moving it so it might be best just to try setup something to get some cooler air flow into the engine pay instead of moving the pod.

Once again thanks to all you guys with the input. Im sure it could be done well keeping most of the stuff out but if too much air flow can cause an issue then its not worth it. Also I might go the route you did keymaker and just box the pod in the engine bay and run some pipe down for some cold air.

Edited by Triptych

I've made the lid so it hinges. None of this unscrewing the lid off to get to the pod crap. Quick easy access. As i said it doesn't look pretty, but it does what i want it to do.

post-28076-1201680672_thumb.jpg

post-28076-1201680359_thumb.jpgpost-28076-1201680372_thumb.jpg

post-28076-1201680390_thumb.jpgpost-28076-1201680413_thumb.jpg

And this is the CAI before it went in. I've since added a shortened 45degree bend on it so it doesn't blow straight into the pod.

post-28076-1201680544_thumb.jpg

Edited by KeyMaker

Thats sweet man. If it works and your happy with it then its fine! Function is key!

Myself am more of a perfectionist haha, so if i make one for mine it probly be pretty :)

All i know is my Apex'i pod gets super hot driving around town, and the R34 SMIC is the same...

hmm, now i think of it, SMIC... my holes are full. Will have to plan something else for cold air.

i have seen the stock snorkel utilised for the cold air feed.

Just make your box to accomodate the airbox feed into the pod box.

See i have seen this too, but the way it looks to me, is when the bonnet is closed the bonnet seal lines up with the snorkle. theres actually no "ramming" of air from driving. Its kinda like any intake system, its a snorkel to DRAW air, not have it rammed in. Or you would get sooo much shit in your airbox kinda like your pod setup used to be.

Make sence?