SAU Community

Vq30 - Any Specs?

Just picked myself up a turbo off a VQ30det, and the only info i can find is that this engine is an alloy block, an update of the vg30det. A similar engine (VQ35DDE or something) is used in the 350Z. THe turbo itself is in very very good condition with minimal shaft play.

Physically the turbo is a fair bit bigger than my rb20 turbo, and it also has a Steel exhaust wheel. One weird thing is that the exhaust housing is not of the regular shape. Ill post a pic or two for viewing.

Another interesting characteristic is the exhaust flange. It is not a regular rb20/25/vg30 item.

Ill get some clearer pics tomorrow for everyone to see. Any idea what kind of power this thing is capable of? The VQ30DET engine is rated at 206kw stock.

disregard my post on performance forums, I have just seen the pics and realised its a VQ not VG. Measure the compressor and turbine and I should be able to calculate approx pwr and spool up time. If you can get two fingers into the exhaust inlet --(same size as ur RB20) the A/R will be close to 0.6. Three fingers wide will be around 0.8 A/R

...and the turbine?? I'm gathering the wheel is no smaller than ur old turbo, if so it should flow at the very least as much as an RB25turbo(49mm comp) but will have more lag. also depends on the trim and wheel shape-post a pick of the compressor. I should be able to give you more precise power figures then.

Originally posted by BOOSTD

They groove near the compressor is to reduce efficientcy. It is done to get around surging problems. The Rb25 turbo has the same thing.

Thats an interesting little bit of information there Boostd.. :P

I always wondered what it was there for.