SAU Community

300ZX's?????

Heavy as fire truck

The V6 in stock form is a bit fragile if boosted.

They can be made to look pretty nice and handle well and wil go well if you don't push the engine to hard with bolt on gear.

I used to a own a 300zx TT as my 1st car....

It went Really well i had done some mods to it:

- Hi flowd turbos

- Exhaust

- Front mount

After a couple of month i was driving it on the new m5 road and I saw my oil pressure gauge drop to zero i backed off and then BOOM...Conrod straight out the side of the Block BYE BYE motor....

Quick cars while they last LOL

But overall a great car..Handling was a dream...well Drifting handling i mean

no room like they said.

not many people want to work on them.

and the wireing loom melts under the bonnet.from to much heat.only wif the tt version

i was going to buy 1 as well. every 1 talked me out of it..

In one of HPI old issues, they mentioned that 300ZXs with VG30DETT is actually very good and reliable engine. There's nothing wrong with the V6 itself. The reason why most of them start playing up when modded is because poor heat management under the bonnet (not much room and air circulation), particularly in TT models. Therefore wiring looms will melt as they get old, and engine boosted higher than std would overheat coz it can't dissipate the heat, resulting in various engine failures over a long period of time.

If u want one, I suggest get a stock TT one, as young as possible (find something like 96 or above) & as low km as possible and when you modify it, don't be a superman. Try use sensible boost level & make sure you get either bonnet vents or aftermarket frontbar with extra hole at the front (I read somewhere the US version has this kind of bumper for better airflow).

Correct me if I'm wrong as I only know thinly abt 300ZXs.

Oh, and I think Prestige Motor Sports' 300ZX is one madly boosted animal on the road. It's auto and despite all mods, the car is still very reliable. I think it was on sale quite some time ago, maybe contact them and ask for more details or hints on modifying 300ZX without blowing them up.

The 300ZXTT is a good value for money car but like every other import there is good & bad one's, They can make good reliable power without 2 many mods, eg mates makes abit over 200rwkw's with C.E.S twin dump exhaust, hks pod filter, timing advanced,good fuel & 14psi owes him around $2000 in mods but he did all the work himself (fitting etc) it does have some small mods like the non turbo auto transmission cpu, non turbo diff, 4ws removed & the std intercooler ducting improved but hasn't cost a heap of dollars & has run a best of 12.59@115mph or there abouts plus still has a top end of around 270 or so if you wanted to try it out.

270km/h, did ur friend uses speed cut?

Did the 300zx speedo also up to 180kp/h and speed limited to 180 from factory, or do they have >180 because they were intended to us market?

nismo 300kph speedo in it! also has calitec speed meter! He also has software to remove speed cut & upped the rev limiter 500rpm! just burn a new chip & away you go! as a joke another mate who's a radio tech, he copies the chips for MRz, gave him a blank chip without MRz knowing & anyways puts it in the z & the thing started & ran but wouldn't rev over 4000 from memory so there you go, car will still run with blank chip!