SAU Community

Strong Aussie Dollar For Overseas Purchases.

Has anybody purchased car parts etc eg. turbs, manifolds anything go fast for the U.S with the current strength of the aussie dollar, and how has it faired cost wise. I know people like to get bits from Japan but the U.S also make great off the shelf bolt on parts also for Japanese sports cars. Anybody got experiences they can share??

The exchange rate pretty much says it all... @ 95 cents au per us $ how do you think they faired cost wise?

Yes it's much better than 75 cents per $, what else can be said.

+1 its pretty much straight forward. its cheaper now than it was before. dont forget to factor in custom tax when you purchase anyting over 1k

not necessarily.

if you get the person sending it to put "gift" on there, you mostly get away with it...

mostly :D

Did the government not bring in a tax free agreement with the us? or was this only for particular items? wheat etc?

The FTA between the USA & Australia only applies to goods made in either country, So parts made in Japan, China etc bought thru the US are still subject to taxes & duties.

Edited by sethor

not necessarily.

if you get the person sending it to put "gift" on there, you mostly get away with it...

mostly :down:

depends on who your dealing with...some people do some dont. does look a tad dodgy when a company invoice is sending you a gift. if you get away with it all the better but dont be shocked if you don't.

Check the customs website to see how they charge.

not really jap import stuff but my uncle is bying a super charger from the US for his 67 Camaro SS with a 502 in it

woooooo lol

Edited by vinnie32GTS4

I know that $ comparison is self explanatory but I was more concerned with taxes and postage that everybody else was emplying and with exactly what rate a credit card company will actually exchange at. Vinnie can you find out if he gets stung with any extra costs/taxes, through customs or anything once his super charger comes in.