SAU Community

Intercoolers

SCR34M

I have been searching and searching for the answer to no avail.... this has been bugging me for about two weeks now...

Whats the difference between... bar n plate... and... Tube n fin??

I have searched the threads but cant find anything although i am sure it has been bought up before... if there already is a thread please point me in the right direction...

Cheers

Guy

i have a cooler sittin around at home, how can i tell what type it is... and why does just jap sell tube n fin for $100 more than bar n plate??

Edited by SCR34M

Bar and Plate or Tube and Fin?

Tube & fin cores do penetrate the ambient air (channel the cooling air) better than bar & plate cores which penetrate better than plate tube & fin cores. Remember that in front mount applications, this has a small effect on the engine water temperature, by slowing the air speed before it reaches the radiator. This is because the rounded leading edge of the tube & fin tube parts the air with less turbulence than the square leading edge of the bar & plate tube, which parts the air with less turbulence than the "W" shape of the tube & fin tube. The following drawings illustrate the turbulence caused by the three tube shapes.

Tube and Fin

tube_and_finT.jpg

Bar and Plate (below)

bar_and_plate_and_finT.jpg

Plate Tube and Fin (below)

plate_tube_and_finT.jpg