SAU Community

Manual Boost Controller

R34P3R

hey

i got a manual boost controller but im not sure how to set it. can someone set it for me[was told i need a boost gauge to set it properly] only want it running 10psi

thanks Sunny

DO NOT TAKE ONE TURN AS ONE PSI as gospel.. very good way to kill your engine!

Get a boost gauge and do it slowly with small increments, rather hard to do it on the street without being naughty.

is pumping the stock turbo up to 10psi a bit or a risk? as far as i am aware, 10psi is the absolute max you can push the turbo to (correct me if I am wrong) and i would not want to be driving with a turbo that is stretched to its limits.

Hearsay and conjecture.

Depends on which stock turbo..

25s2 and neo turbos have the nylon compressor wheel which likes to delaminate when leaned on too much.

rb20 turbos, mine took a beating on 14psi for about 6 months before I sold it

25s1 turbos (with steel compressor wheel), mine was on the RB20 @ 12psi for a year and has been on the RB30 @ 12psi for a year aswell. On the 30 it's choking up something chronic (which means it creates excessive heat too) and it still hasn't shat its' exhaust wheel..

my old one was running on 12 psi for 3 years, no problems, and when i took it of it was still fine, no excessive wear or shaft play.

Edited by Pal

hey

i got a manual boost controller but im not sure how to set it. can someone set it for me[was told i need a boost gauge to set it properly] only want it running 10psi

thanks Sunny

sunny i have a spare boost gauge you can borrow if you want

12 psi is considered a safe limit for RB turbos without any dramas. sometimes they will last 13-14 psi or 1 bar but sometimes they wont. depends on how they are being treated really..

set it all the way down, then 4 clicks up... thats where mine is set, n im running just under 10

which part of 'no clicks' did you not understand?

and 1 turn != 1 psi, get a boost gauge and find out exactly what it is doing, otherwise you might be hunting for an exhaust wheel in your cat.

my RB25 turbo was on 13psi for the 3 years i had the car, plus however long before i bought it, and only gave up when the engine threw a leg out a bed, and presumably crap though the turbo.

Guys guys guys.

NOT ALL RB STOCK TURBOS ARE THE SAME.

RB25 seriesII and RB25Neos can't handle as much boost as the RB20 and RB25 seriesI turbos.

I really wouldn't be pushing a nylon compressor wheeled turbo past 10-12psi.