SAU Community

Mods, Exhaust And Pod...

if you gut your cat EVERYONE driving behind you will notice because of the stench coming out of your exhaust ... and you're risking a $10,000 fine afaik all for a measly 5-10hp extra ? Please don't give idiotic advice to newbies..

agreed.

I hate people who run a de cat pipe or knock out the guts.

Smells like shit. And in my view cheapens the car.

Get a nice metal hi flow cat.

that's a very interesting note about the factory rubber induction pipe .. I've read about this once before somewhere else but not much attention seems to be paid to this item, even though it's cheap.

what's a good dry panel filter to get in terms of flow and filtering? Right now I have a K&N I think which is the oiled kind and I don't think my AFM likes it too much..

that's a very interesting note about the factory rubber induction pipe .. I've read about this once before somewhere else but not much attention seems to be paid to this item, even though it's cheap.

what's a good dry panel filter to get in terms of flow and filtering? Right now I have a K&N I think which is the oiled kind and I don't think my AFM likes it too much..

With the factory rubber induction pipe, it wouldnt matter much if you are running standard boost, but once you push close to the limit of the factory turbo of around 12-14psi (the factory ceramic turbine doesnt like it much when you thrash it past this thrashold) it tends to suck itself shut, I've seen some people make up some sort of a wire brace to stick inside it to hold it open under boost, but WHY BOTHER ?? with the risk of getting objects jammed inside the compressor.....The replacement alloy induction pipe is perfect when you are running 1 bar or above with a factory styled low mount turbo....

As with the panel filter, honestly, I was running a OEM Nissan unit in the standard factory airbox and had no problems at all above 270+ rwkw, having said that, Im sure a replacement unit from any of the 'big' guys are pretty good.... I heard somewhere that the late model V8 Commodore filters would work as well, but double check on the sizing because I havent actually checked on it, but to think of it, if its capable of supporting enough air flow for a 5 or 6 litre V8, there shouldnt be any hassles handling a blown 2.5 litre.

agreed.

I hate people who run a de cat pipe or knock out the guts.

Smells like shit. And in my view cheapens the car.

Get a nice metal hi flow cat.

I replaced the two 2-bolt flanges on either end of my cat convertor with v-bands (for simple and quick changes) and had a simple stainless steel de-cat pipe made up that I only use at the circuit on track days or at the drags, along with this, I also use a BuddyClub spec II light weight racing exhaust (which is basically a thin-wall straight thru pipe with no mufflers or resonators), I also had seperate maps written for this condition.... De-cat pipes are a definite 'NO-NO' on the public roads as its a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fine if you get done. Any difference ? oh yes.... 18kw at the rear wheels

ye ur gonna have to replace that pod soon, iv found the cheap 1ns get dirty very easily and quickly

Hi Guys, I am gonna post this question in here because there aint no exhaust forum that I can find, I just got through un defecting my 33 gtr for excessive noise out of my designer pipe which I'm ashamed to say I don't know what type it is, but it has the twin 3" outlets side by side out of the rear muffler and goes twin 2 and a quarter back to the twin hotdog resonators before the cat,anyway when I got it checked by the epa approved tester he said it was 7 or 8 db over for my model car.

I asked him some questions and he told me that each cars acceptable noise level is based on it's year of registration, so unfortunately mine being an import is registered 2005 but is actually a 1995 model, is that fair that australian rego takes precedence over the actual design expectations of a 1995 car??oh by the way a 2005 car has to come in under 90db,any comments welcomed.Cheers Greypearl.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys, I am gonna post this question in here because there aint no exhaust forum that I can find, I just got through un defecting my 33 gtr for excessive noise out of my designer pipe which I'm ashamed to say I don't know what type it is, but it has the twin 3" outlets side by side out of the rear muffler and goes twin 2 and a quarter back to the twin hotdog resonators before the cat,anyway when I got it checked by the epa approved tester he said it was 7 or 8 db over for my model car.

I asked him some questions and he told me that each cars acceptable noise level is based on it's year of registration, so unfortunately mine being an import is registered 2005 but is actually a 1995 model, is that fair that australian rego takes precedence over the actual design expectations of a 1995 car??oh by the way a 2005 car has to come in under 90db,any comments welcomed.Cheers Greypearl.

Anyone ???

fine for de-cat pipe. Thats an old wives tale. Anyone ever heard of anyone getting a fine for that? The only time it would get properly checked and even that is a maybe would be over the pits and you just swap it over before you go through anyway.