SAU Community

Water Pump Bolt Hole Doesnt Line Up!

ascenion24

So went and got myself a GMP (GPM? something like that) R33 water pump from repco.

After bolting it on, i couldnt get that last M6 bolt up the top to go in, after taking the pump off I realized the bolt hole in the pump was off by at least a good few cms... so obviously the wrong pump.

Was there different models? whats the deal here if anyone knows.

thanks

Mate the only water pump I have ever seen where that bolt lines up is genuine. Every spare parts store has the pump you have listed as being for RB20, 25, 26 & 30 but is incorrect... Is to suit RB30 & thats it. You will notice (correct me if Im wrong) that the standard pump has an elongated (oval) hole in this position where your new pump only has a round hole. I got around this on my RB25 by drilling a hole in the block to line up with hole in new pump, tapping a thread & screwing a bolt into that. If you have, or can borrow a tap & die set this is the way to go in my opinion.

Dont listen to people who tell you to just slap more silicon on it, it will cause headaches later...

You could probably go to somewhere like Bunnings or Total Tools with your bolt & buy a tap to suit.

Make sure a pilot drill is included to ensure correct size (very important)

Also make sure you centre-punch the block...

This will probably work out cheaper than a genuine pump

hmmmm, wouldnt it be easier to drill a hole through the new water pump then drill a hole into the block? Guess the gasket wont line up correctly though.

Ive got a tap and die set so no worries there. How deep can you drill into the block, scared of going too deep and hitting a gallery or something.

Will ring around for a genuine part to see how much I can get it for, would rather do that then drill my block.