SAU Community

Exhaust Scratches

XrSiSt

well you could take it to a bronzing studio and get it chromed if you're that fussy :D

umm, all i can think of is to try a good metal polish ...

another thing i dont reccomend you try until you ask somebody who knows more - is wet sanding with a really fine sandpaper - apparently this can get rid of scratches? im not 100% sure.

When I bought my intercooler, the end tanks were sprayed with that fantastic chrome in a can.. **shaking my head**

I told my mechanic and he recommended the following.. (he also does re-sprays and so on and has paint and preperation experience..)

get a really fine sand paper (1000 or 2000 grade)

Get some oil.. (even cooking oil is fine - or motor oil)

dab your finger in the oil, and just spread it around a little over the area that you are going to sand.. Get a little bit of oil on the surface of the sand paper..

When you start sanding the area, it will start to turn grey then black. Feel it with your finger.. if it is smooth, wipe it clean with a rag.

Then get some autosol (it's a metal polish... comes in a small tube - like tooth paste)

It has instructions on the back of the tube on how to use this product..

A little bit of work will produce a mirror like finish..

Basically, you put some autosol on the surface and start rubing it in to the surface with a cloth. it will go grey, dark grey, black.. then turn the cloth over to a clean side and keep buffing it in.. it will lighten up then come up chrome eventually.

NOTE.. you will get sore hands and arms from the polishing but it is worth it..