SAU Community

Thermo Fan Shrouds?

niran

hey every

i have my engineering appointment soon and im a bit worried as my clutch fan does not have a shroud around it as i have an aftermarket radiator. However i do have two electric thermo fans that i brought new a while back and been meaning to install. I've seen people use mounting shrouds if that's what you would call them so that the thermo fans have an gap between the radiator itself.

here is a picture so it explains it better.. does any one know where i can buy something like this locally.

post-44649-1265004036_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, niran

If you are keeping your stock engine fan then the thermos can go on the front of the radiator with no shroud. If you need a shroud for the engine fan then hit up some wreckers.

If you aren't keeping the stock engine fan, then the thermos go on the back side of the radiator but you won't find an off the shelf shroud to fit our radiators and those fans (if you do, let me know!).

I have heard that VG30 thermo setups and AU Falcon setups both fit and work with minimal effort.

Easiest way is to make shrouds yourself - or go and see any shop that does custom work

Or, see KYP, etc to get a new (second hand) shroud for the clutch fan

Or, if you only need it for a little while, I could probably let you borrow mine (factory one)

Easiest way is to make shrouds yourself - or go and see any shop that does custom work

Or, see KYP, etc to get a new (second hand) shroud for the clutch fan

Or, if you only need it for a little while, I could probably let you borrow mine (factory one)

hey buddy

thanks for that, i did what you said at the start, just made my own shroud looks good.. went to the engineering place they didn't say anything about it being a problem.

thanks, niran

• 2 weeks later...

No, no pics.

Pretty straight forward though

use the factory shroud as a guide, or just off the rad dimensions, make up a frame from light ply, pine or Mdf

then cut same for the thermos

tack some speaker cloth to the rad frame and position the thermo fan templates - use a brick or pavers (or similar) to space the thermo frame up from the rad frame and then stretch and tack the cloth in place (not too tight)

then just lay several layers of fibre glass resin over the top, and you are done

Edited by Steve