SAU Community

Dr30 Water Temp Reading

DeRuX

Ok so my first post..

I just got my DR30 out from winter storage and this is the first time I have been able to drive it a lot. I don't know where the water temp gauge shoud be reading and wanted to compare with other people. So my gauge after driving around all day reads at about 3/4 to the top. It this normal???

Looks like mine is a bit hot then. I am going to do a radiator flush and see where I'm at then. It the temp sensors for the fan are getting old will that make them turn on at a higher temperature?? Does anyone know where to get new ones that don't cost an arm or leg?

Shoud the top sensor power the big or little fan?

Edited by DeRuX

Mine sits just under half as well.

Looks like mine is a bit hot then. I am going to do a radiator flush and see where I'm at then. It the temp sensors for the fan are getting old will that make them turn on at a higher temperature?? Does anyone know where to get new ones that don't cost an arm or leg?

Shoud the top sensor power the big or little fan?

IIRC, the top sensor is for the "low water" light on the dash. The fans run off the sensor in the bottom tank. My sensor failed at one point, and I got a Tridon replacement from AutoPro. It cost about $16 at the time (which was a few years ago now).

http://www.tridon.co...35&G=483&P=2014

Edit: replace your thermostat as well. Just to be sure.

Edited by Matty T

Mine sits just under half as well.

IIRC, the top sensor is for the "low water" light on the dash. The fans run off the sensor in the bottom tank. My sensor failed at one point, and I got a Tridon replacement from AutoPro. It cost about $16 at the time (which was a few years ago now).

http://www.tridon.co...35&G=483&P=2014

Edit: replace your thermostat as well. Just to be sure.

So the fans run from the bottom switch. I have them working off the top switch. I guess I need rewire some stuff.

Yeah, you want the fans to run off the post-cooled (ie. bottom tank) water temp. The aim is to keep the water entering the engine at a consistent temperature. Running the fans off the pre-cooled water temp does not take into account the thermal efficiency of the radiator.

To take it a step further, the thermo switch should be mated to the thermostat being used. That way, the water flows (cools) when it reaches a certain minimum temp, and the cooling is boosted when it reaches a maximum temp.

If I remember correctly, I am using an 82 degree thermostat, and a 90/85 degree thermo switch (with a manual dash-mounted override switch). This is in my DR30 rally car, which uses the factory radiator. In 26 events, it has never had an overheating issue. Actually, I lie. It did once, and that was when the thermo switch failed. Hence the Tridon replacement. Fortunately I caught it in time and saved the engine.

So I have emailed Tridon about buying a set of switches. They do not sell outside of Australia & New Zealand. They also do not sell direct. So can some one help a guy out. I would like to buy two Tridon TFS143 switches. PM me and we can set it up.