SAU Community

50K 2Nd Hand R35's In Japan With $A At Record Highs Against The Yen

I just wanted to say nismo83 is right, and the RBA has absolutely no way of influencing the AUD. The Australian dollar forex market is the fifth largest in the world and the RBA does not have enough firepower to depreciate it.

Besides the money printing from US, GB and JPN. The aud is seen as a safe haven and as the world gets worse, people bring money here (overseas central banks are now buying aud assets)

Moral story - AUD only going up.

But yes cars in the US are half the price here, and Nissan are def price gouging Australian GTR buyers.

But if the GTR was 100k, why would u buy a 370z? So Nissan would have to lower that price and all other models, etc et.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are a few things to consider there Fatz. Paying x amount for a GTR here in Aus compared to x amount elsewhere is comparing the proverbial apples with oranges.

There's been some rather interesting debate recently about the prices we pay for the same goods here in Aus compared with the rest of the world. A local MP Ed Husic here in Sydney has been championing this cause for quite a while now. It does appear for some goods we are paying way too much in Aus....no doubt about that. ie the cost of software. But there are other goods where it seems we are being ripped off but the reality is the prices are rather justified. I'm not sure where the auto industry in this country sits but id say it's somewhere in the middle. Probably leaning more towards the 'justified' end though.

When looking at the high cost of GTR's in this country - you need to remember:

Economies of scale. I will give you Australia vs USA as an example here to make things easier.

Just say for every 1 x Nissan GTR sold in Australia it equates to around 15 GTR's sold in the USA....

Theoretically - if a dealer in the US sells 15 GTR's per month at a net profit of $10k for each car sold this works out to around $150k total profit made on GTR sales for that month.

Based on the above profit margins - a Nissan dealer here in Australia will have to make do with $10k per month in net profit for GTR sales. Hence why you would expect the Aussie dealer to jack up their prices to say something like $20k or even $30k profit per vehicle.

You need to also consider wages here in Australia are generally higher. That means the guy selling you the car in Australia makes more money than his counterpart in America. The salesguys manager would theoretically have a higher salary also. The salesguys managers manager....and so on and so on. Heck... even the person hired to clean the windows of the dealership in Australia is making atleast $16 per hour (minimum wage) compared to the (roughly) $7 his/her counterpart is making over in the USA. You can also conclude the rent being paid by the dealer is generally going to be higher.

Some of these costs may not seem to be alot - but they all add up.

So when you think about it.. the high cost of living here in Australia does have something to do with price you pay for a GTR.

If you prefer to pay $90k or so for a brand spanking new GTR - then by all means move over to the USA. But i also hope you are prepared to take a substantial hit to your pay packet (average median incomes in USA are about half of what they are here in Australia).

So i think alot of us need to take the emotional aspect of what we pay for "most" goods here in Australia and balance it out with some rational thinking.

I see the point you are trying to make but your analogy is very weak (it also has nothing to do with "economies of scale"). I'm guessing your GTR sales ratio of 1 : 15 would be based on a population ratio?? Either way, the number of Nissan dealerships in USA compared to Aust would also be a similar ratio which totally dismisses this point. I hope you don't teach this in your "classes" !!

I agree high wages, high living standards and high costs of living (as well as higher GTR prices) generally all go hand-in-hand. It still does not account for, nor justify the obvious huge price gouging we face here.

That said, I am no expert and I'm not here to whinge. I'm as guilty as you guys as I too have added justification to Nissan Aust for the inflated prices by being a proud GTR owner....

Edited by AussieMark

I see the point you are trying to make but your analogy is very weak (it also has nothing to do with "economies of scale"). I'm guessing your GTR sales ratio of 1 : 15 would be based on a population ratio?? Either way, the number of Nissan dealerships in USA compared to Aust would also be a similar ratio which totally dismisses this point. I hope you don't teach this in your "classes" !!

Speaking of a weak analogy Aussiemark, sales figures in the USA from 2008 to Feb 2013 - over 6700 GTR's have been sold. I doubt very much that anything even close to 10% of that figure (670 GTR's) have been sold here in Australia, so the ratio of 1:15 - meaning roughly 450 GTR's sold here in Australia since 2009, is a very very realistic assumption considering they're even rarer than hens teeth on the roads

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/82201-february-2013-gtr-sales-report/

Edited by Wardski

some valid point

doesnt take into account nissan make the bulk of their money from a existing stealership network that have existing overheads that turn a profit sellig heaps of utes and dualis's ect.

the car already are RHD and they have already translated the dash sticker to english for existing markets

i supose you need to train 2 staff per state to work out how to unbolt the gearbag which would cost 40k per state

cost of ADR compliance is a one off and is bugger all annualised over multiple years of 400-500 cars. and putting child restrians in at the factory costs about 20 bux

i would be driving one if it was 90-110 k to get into one new and i dare say a large proportion of people on this site would as well

lets forget america, even if they price matched japan they would sell a couple of thousand a year.

Someone give that may a beer :) next time you're in the ACT, you can have one on me! glad to see we think the same on this.

Speaking of a weak analogy Aussiemark, sales figures in the USA from 2008 to Feb 2013 - over 6700 GTR's have been sold. I doubt very much that anything even close to 10% of that figure (670 GTR's) have been sold here in Australia, so the ratio of 1:15 - meaning roughly 450 GTR's sold here in Australia since 2009, is a very very realistic assumption considering they're even rarer than hens teeth on the roads

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/82201-february-2013-gtr-sales-report/

Not that it really matters to continue on with this dribble but anyway.... I didn't mean his ratio assumption of 1:15 was right or wrong; it is largely irrelevant to the point he was trying to make.

He was basically saying that the USA sells a lot more GTRs than Australia so therefore each individual dealership in USA would be selling a lot more GTRs each month than dealerships out here. What I was saying is that he seemingly disregarded the fact that there is also many many more Nissan dealerships in the USA making all those new GTR sales and not the 1 : 1 ratio of dealerships in Aust that he used for his calcs.

They are interesting sales figures though Wardski, so thanks for the link.

Whatever the reason, no one likes the feeling that they're getting ripped, which is why it is a sensitive topic. Software/games etc are twice as much here as they are to the UK and there is no possible justification for this that I can see. This doesn't bother me though because I just buy from the UK. I can't do that with a GTR though...

......Whatever the reason, no one likes the feeling that they're getting ripped...

You're absolutely right, but again it depends on your strategy. I waited for my Dec build 2010 to come down in price to a price point that I was willing to pay. I think anyone who buys the latest model the moment it arrives on shore either has too much money or no sense what so ever. Out of interest, I paid $138k with on roads and delivery (new) in Dec 2011 - of course the car was sitting in a showroom for 12 months and was subject to some very very minor wear n tear (minor scratching that was removed at the time it was Opti Coated) and to be honest I agree $138k is still too much to pay in comparison to the US and Japan, but the price I paid was much better than the original RRP of $189k for a current model 2011 at the same time..

Edited by Wardski

You're absolutely right, but again it depends on your strategy. I waited for my Dec build 2010 to come down in price to a price point that I was willing to pay. I think anyone who buys the latest model the moment it arrives on shore either has too much money or no sense what so ever. Out of interest, I paid $138k with on roads and delivery (new) in Dec 2011 - of course the car was sitting in a showroom for 12 months and was subject to some very very minor wear n tear (minor scratching that was removed at the time it was Opti Coated) and to be honest I agree $138k is still too much to pay in comparison to the US and Japan, but the price I paid was much better than the original RRP of $189k for a current model 2011 at the same time..

What was the RRP for the 2010's? 155-160k? I recall it being somewhere in that vicinity?? Even at that level it's much easier to swallow than the 193k or so they are now.

Wouldn't a Dec 2010 build be a MY11? When is the cut-off when they start building the next year's model? It seems strange that they'd build a 2010 model in Dec 2010 that wouldn't even land over here until probably Feb 2011 - it's last year's model the day it lands. When I was into WRXs a few years back I remember Subaru would be launching the next years model around September.

From recollection the RRP for the 2010's was $159,800 (ref. redbook.com.au) - not sure if this was Drive Away and whether it excluded stamp duty and dealer delivery. Out of interest the MSRP for the 2012 is $170,800 (ref. redbook.com.au)..

Checked the build plate again, Dec 2010. Definitely not a 2011 as its lacking the DRL's :P

What was the RRP for the 2010's? 155-160k? I recall it being somewhere in that vicinity?? Even at that level it's much easier to swallow than the 193k or so they are now.

Wouldn't a Dec 2010 build be a MY11? When is the cut-off when they start building the next year's model? It seems strange that they'd build a 2010 model in Dec 2010 that wouldn't even land over here until probably Feb 2011 - it's last year's model the day it lands. When I was into WRXs a few years back I remember Subaru would be launching the next years model around September.

Edited by Wardski

I have had the pleasure of seeing this car in the flesh, the bloke owns a towing company and is actually retiring like the carsales comments say. Beautiful in person and is very very clean. Good buy indeed!

Good buy on carsales today all things considered.

http://carsales.mobi/car/brand%20new/dealer/demo/private/NISSAN/GT____R

Makes you wonder though, still hasn't sold....... Maybe closer to 90k?.. I'm thinking the 3 biggest let downs of the 2009 (right now) for me is the MFD screen resolution, and the lack of an iPod compatible USB port. Then there is the 3 year warranty which would also affect its resale - this one's would be neg.

Still its a genuine clean sample of the mighty GTR :)

Yep, based on this car anyone paying more then a 100k for an 09 would have to have rocks in their head.

Edited by Wardski

It's been sold. Looks like genuine extended warranty now avaliable from Nissan for the R35.

http://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Warranty/Nissan-Genuine-Extended-Warranty

You'll note that the GT-R exclusion has been removed from this page. God knows how much it would cost though. Looks like it's done on a car by car basis.

Edited by GT-R OZ

I'll be enquiring in May at the next service, will let you boys know :)

It's been sold. Looks like genuine extended warranty now avaliable from Nissan for the R35.

http://www.nissan.com.au/Owners/Owner-Information/Warranty/Nissan-Genuine-Extended-Warranty

You'll note that the GT-R exclusion has been removed from this page. God knows how much it would cost though. Looks like it's done on a car by car basis.

I emailed Mark @ Moorooka Nissan earlier this week - he came back today advising Nissan Australia corporate have indicated the Ext Warranty is still not available for the GTR.

Dang it..!

Edited by Wardski

I emailed Mark @ Moorooka Nissan earlier this week - he came back today advising Nissan Australia corporate have indicated the Ext Warranty is still not available for the GTR.

Dang it..!

but hang on...on a positive note; does that mean guilt free mods for your R35??? Am I right??? It aint all bad eh :)