SAU Community

Help With Rb20Det On The Gold Coast

Hello all.

Need a little help with my rb20 powered calais.

the previous owner could not get it running right after countless attempts. I have had the car for only a couple of days and have had no success either.
I have checked all the spark plugs, coils, loom and not yet found anything that could help the problem.

The problem is. Difficult to get the car to idle when warm. Idles fine when cold, sometimes it hovers around maybe 200 rpm won initial start but it comes to life and sits at a higher decent idle after about 10 seconds. If I pump the gas once or twice it gets to idle straight away, just needs a little help to pick it up.

as the tacho is busted, i can only give approximate revs. At around 3500 rpm if i try and put my foot down, it will spit and fart and cough all they way through the gear. I can not see or hear any air leaks. The only mods I can see are big FMIC , decent exhaust manifold, and a T04e turbo(lol).

It just does not want to rev freely.

What I am asking. Is if anybody in the Gold Coast area, would be willing to help me out with these problems. I have never owned an RB, yet have had many powerful cars, so I am not an idiot, just new to the RB. If someone could come around and point out specific problem areas on the RB, and give me a hand to try and find this problem, I would be greatly appreciative.

I would take it to a shop, But I am physically disabled and in no way can afford a shop to look it over.

I am happy to supply the beers to whomever comes around to help me out.

Im not a rapist, murderer, theif or low life. I have no intention of dicking anyone around. I simply want some help on my car so that I can have a car again.

Kind Regards,
Clucky-7

I have recently changed the afm that was on the car to another one. both standard afm's. it seemed to have somewhat eased the running of the engine, however still, as soon as i see boost, or put my foot down, it does not run right. There is still something wrong. I am only running 5 psi of boost, so i know it is not overboosting.

However, that brings up another thing i want to ask. Where are most people getting a reference signalfor a boost gauge from? Currently I am running one from the intake manifold. There are two on there, I am running the boost gauge off of the highest one. the one underneath has 5 cm's of pipe and is blocked off with a screw. The nipple my gauge is connected to, has a t-piece on it, one line going straight to the boost gauge, and the other side of the boost tee is blocked off with a screw aswell.

Can somebody please shed some light on where these two nipples are meant to be connected to, or what they are meant to have connected to them. Aswell as informing me of where you are getting your reference signal on your RB20DET.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Poeticjustice88