SAU Community

Replaced Speedo Now The Power Steering Is Heavy ?

adam wicks

I recently replaced my speedo cause the other broke in my Nissan skyline r32 gtst 1993. The new speedo all works, when the car is started the power steering works fine but after a little drive for about 30 seconds if that the steering goes heavy?

I've had a read about some sensor but I have no idea where it is and what to do about it ?

Any help would be great thanks

Have you back tracked? Ie

Take the cluster back out and check all connections. Apparently the sensor is at the back of the dash and the steering angle sensor is in the column.

Put the old cluster back in and see if you have power steering back.

Process of elimination.

Check your power steer reservoir.

The sensor behind the dash is the one coming from the gearbox. It's a big round hole with a small shaft sticking out of it right behind the gauge cluster. That's where the speego gets its reading from. Funny that your speedo works but you get heavy steering as usually when that pin breaks and car no longer receives a speed signal is when you get the heavy steering.

You might have to do a HICAS diagnostic test and see what comes up.

Have you had a look at the fuses?

All I could point my finger at this point is some kind of a bad connection...

Since you're using a lock bar like me, do you have anything unplugged from hicas ecu? Silver box under the parcel tray.

To get into HICAS diags:
1) Switch ingition off, transmission in neutral or auto in Park.
2) Start engine
3) Very quickly (with a couple of seconds), turn the steering wheel left and right about 20 degrees from centre five times, and then pump the brakes five times, then press the brake pedal once more - this will enter diagnostic mode.
4) Drive forwards or backwards about 5 metres at a speed less than 10k/ph, this will enter full diagnostic mode.
5) The HICAS light in the instrument cluster will be flashing quickly (for normal) or will flash a code indicating any problems. Long flash = first digit, short flash = second digit. Diagnostics will return to normal after five minutes, or any speed over 10k/ph, or ingnition is turned off.

Result codes:
11 HICAS control unit
12 HICAS motor power supply not present
13 HICAS motor output not present
21 Vehicle speed sensor not present
22 Steering angle sensor not present
23 Steering angle sensor neutral or not present
24 Rear main sensor input not present
25 Rear sub sensor input not present
31 Parking brake sensor input not present
32 (Auto) Inhibititor switch input not present
(Manual) Neutral switch input not present
33 Engine speed signal not present
Edited by ErOR

The lock bar was installed by the last owner so I'm not sure but I've owned the car for about a year and never had a problem till I replaced the cluster, I'll do the diagnostics and see what happens, I did an ecu diagnostics and it was all okay

What sensor are you testing?

The item on the column behind the steering wheel is the steering angle sensor and since you've deleted HICAS I can's see it having any input.

You swapped the dash and then your troubles began so to me it's a speed sensor problem.

The actual speed sensor is just a reed switch built into the speedo right where the cable enters.

There's differences between early/late models, so could be a wiring issue.