SAU Community

Urgent Turbo Help Please!!!

BlackR32

I have an R32 GTST and my turbo is kicking the proverbial bucket.

It used to just make this shreiking noise when it reached high boost (factory settings mind you). But now I can here it flapping against the casing all the time... I am worried that it is going to shatter and run through my block.

Does anyone know how I can avoid this i.e is there a way to remove the turbo until I can replace it and still drive the car in the mean time?

OR

Does anyone have a factory turbo lying around that they don't need? i feel I am in quite a hole with this one :Paranoid:

Any solutions would be great.

Thanks,

BlkR32

Im no expert but why cant you disconnect the air flow meter and put it onto the plenum chamber pipe and then disconnect the wastegate and hold it open somehow (tie wire or cable tie if it dont melt) and disconnect your intercooler pipes so if the turbo does blow shit everywhere just direct it to the bottom of the engine bay or something...

Would that work ?

Probly not but worth looking into maybe :)

I lost my factory turbo (R33 though) while driving. Large pop and it went. The guts of it ended up stuck in my cat convertor(no other damage to the engine). I drove around for a week with no turbo while I was waiting for a replacement. The car will still drive but the compression is wrong for NA and it will strain your engine so dont do that for very long plus the power output is similar to that of a lawnmower!! You can 'turn' off your turbo by disconnecting your vaccume line. If your not sure a mechanic can do this in about 2 minutes. My suggestion is that you do not drive it too far without it. If you need a replacement turbo cheap let me know as I have a friend (in Melbourne) that sells used parts cheap for imports. If your budget is tight try and get a R33 turbo at around $400 second hand. You might find a R32 turbo for slightly less but you may as well get a more efficient turbo for an extra $100.