SAU Community

powerFC - sensor calibration?

Looking to purchase a powerFC for an RB25/30 using an R33 n/a head. questions:

1) must i specify that i want it to drive an N/A head (injectors etc are different capacity obviously) so that it will plug straight in?

2) i understand i can select different AFM's easily enabling me to upgrade to a Z32 or Q45 AFM, however can i use a MAP sensor if chasing really big power? can the outputs of a different meter be calibrated so that the powerFC can use them?

3) does the powerFC come with tuning software for a laptop (i know it has a hand controller) so that i can tune it, or do i have to search for a dyno tuner who has licenses for the software?

cheers

The standard PFC uses AFM, Djetro versions can use MAP.

As for needing MAP for "really big power", I have seen an RB make 1100 bhp using AFM's, is that "really big" enough "power" for you?

The NA injectors are 270 cc's (from memory) so you can adjust the PFC master fuel correction to -20%, that will get it running. You should tune the maps though for long term use. But 270 bhp is not much for an RB30/25, so I suspect it is only a tempory situation.

You can get Datalogit for lap top tuning, although the Commander does a pretty good job.

www.fc-datalogit.com

:D

fantastic, cheers. i'll ditch the 3 bar map sensor i have at the moment.

what do you do about largish (500 engine horsepower) power AFM's? i have heard rumours of people using Z32 AFM guts in a 3 inch pipe to slow the charge velocities down and not max the AFM out...... how would you go about this? using two AFM's on separate induction pipes is not possible as the AFM must be placed after the intercooler in my application. i understand a Q45 AFM goes up to 300-odd rwkw but they're expensive buggers and hard to find.

p.s. when this engine is up and running, i want you to tune it. do i have to book?

edit: will be running with GTR 440cc squirters.

Use a Q45 afm. They are available, just look in the for sale section. They are capable of more than 300 rwkw ive read on here somewhere (i should be up around 350 with mine).

They cost like in the region of $300...not that much more than a z32 afm.

Like SK said use Datalogit, or you can buy the Power fc sofware from Nengun.com these days i believe....

fantastic, cheers. i'll ditch the 3 bar map sensor i have at the moment.

what do you do about largish (500 engine horsepower) power AFM's? i have heard rumours of people using Z32 AFM guts in a 3 inch pipe to slow the charge velocities down and not max the AFM out...... how would you go about this? using two AFM's on separate induction pipes is not possible as the AFM must be placed after the intercooler in my application. i understand a Q45 AFM goes up to 300-odd rwkw but they're expensive buggers and hard to find.

p.s. when this engine is up and running, i want you to tune it. do i have to book?

edit: will be running with GTR 440cc squirters.

Bl4cK32 answered most of this.

I will add that I have seen a car in Japan with a Q45 AFM plumbed into the pipework from the intercooler to the plenum. Certainly no problem maxing out a set of 444 cc injectors. My own RB31DET maxes out 565 cc injectors with a single Q45 AFM, and it is placed before the turbo (ie; in the usual location).

Sorry we only work on team race cars, there is simply not enough time to do retail work during racing season. Plus you wouldn't want me to tune your car, I am far from the best tuner. Shoot I don't even do the race cars, our team tuner won't let me near them. But he is a genius after all.

:rofl:

okay, so he's the man i need. i really want someone with experience with powerFC's but most of all experience with RB30DET's. i'm buggered if i will let any joe schmoe tune this engine once it's done, i want someone who knows their way around it assways.

sounds like the Q45 AFM is the go, it's ID is even larger than the 3 inch pipe i'll be running if those figures are correct. do they handle pressurised air fine, just like any other hotwire AFM?

sounds like the Q45 AFM is the go, it's ID is even larger than the 3 inch pipe i'll be running if those figures are correct. do they handle pressurised air fine, just like any other hotwire AFM?

The Skyline is saw the boost through Q45 on, had ~85 mm ID pipe to match the AFM ID (from the intercooler to the plenum). I have never tried it myself, so I have no idea what issues they had getting it to work. I also don't know what boost they were running, it had a big ass HKS turbo on it, so it had plenty of airflow.

:rofl: