SAU Community

intercooler cleaning

rol

previous owner has painted the intercooler dark blue, light blue, then silver... that's 3 coats of paint... :) anyone know where I might be able to get it stripped back to bare aluminium??

called a few radiator places and they havent been able to help. some suggested sandblasting, and others suggested using a high pressure water spray... there must be a better option.

cheers,

rol

i've tried using some selley's aerosol paint stripper... managed to get rid of most of the paint, but getting rid of the paint on the cooling fins are proving to be a bitch.

i've seen a number of cars around perth with blinged up gold/chrome plated front mounts. a place that does this kind of thing should be able to get rid of a bit of paint. wouldnt go as far as getting it gold plated tho. :(

sand blasting would annihilate a cooler

paint stripper as mentioned the way to go, ive had acid bathing reduce teh fins to "waffer thin" frailty

why you want to strip that crap off to cover it over in more crap

nah, i'm stripping off the paint and leaving it as bare aluminium... not gona coat it with anything else. doesnt quite do it for me...

i'll keep trying with paint stripper then...

sand blasting would annihilate a cooler

paint stripper as mentioned the way to go,  ive had acid bathing reduce teh fins to "waffer thin" frailty

why you want to strip that crap off to cover it over in more crap

Go and buy yourself 4 or 8 litres of paint thinners from supershit(cheap) auto

find a tub big enough to to lay down the cooler in it and pour that nasty stuff all over it

let it soak for a couple of days and you sould be able to blow off any residue with a compressor

should be a bit cheaper than paint stripper if you buy the ultra cheap thinners

just leave the stuff in a well ventilated area as you dont want to do blowing yaself up now do you