SAU Community

New Poster Wants Info About Skylines

hi guys..

new poster here.

im currently looking around for a car for myself.

ive been looking at the 4 door R32 rb20det

seeming as my budget is limited, i have spotted some on firesport that have recently been imported.

i was told the compression test shows above 145 on all cylinders, and the car is in very good conition. what is the normal numbers for this motor?

im not that fussed about dents or scuff amkes inside the interior.... just want the engine to be reliable and without problems.

what should i look out for?

or should i stay away from them?

my budget is around 9k max... too low of a budget for this kind of car?

the reason i was choosing a 4 door, was to hopefully help with insurance premiums.. if it will make a difference at all...

any help would be appreciated

thanks

i dont know if being a 4 door will make much of a difference if your buying a turbo skyline as far as insurance goes, are you a P plater?

If your budget is set to about $9000 it may not be the best idea to get a 32. They are reasonably old and if a problem pops up it could easily cost you another grand at least. It would probably be a good idea to not only go by what the seller is telling you about "how good condition the car is" and get it checked out by someone, like racv vehicle inspections. B4 i bought my r33 i was just about to get a "good condition 180" that turned out to be just about to fall apart.

And to answer the question about what to look for and what to stay away from...

check around all seals for rust, basic things such as quality of interior which may indicate how much the previous japanese owner cared about his car. Take the car for a drive yourself and drive through the gears slowy to see if you notice any unhealthy sounding vibrating or anything that doesnt feel right about the diff and gearbox. Check the exhuast to make sre it isnt blowing any wierd looking smoke, not just on idle, get someone to rev it too, should come out clear. also if you notice any little holes in the dash, that would indicate guages were attached once. if the car had guages it would also probably have had other mods that may have been taken off, thats a sure indication the car has been thrashed, this may not necessarily mean it will be a problem car but you need to be wary of it. also cheack for smash repairs. if the car has been in an accident even after panels have been fixed (often very poorly) the body may be bent so the car will never feel 100% right to drive.

There is obdviously heaps of other things i didnt mention so anyone else is free to add!

I can help with the insurance bit of your question. I use to work for an insurance company under 12 mths ago. As fas as insurance goes any import that has 2 doors OR a high pressure turbo is a grade 9. This is the highest grade and the only thing seperating you from paying the same premium as a porsche driver is the purchase price. If you were to get a 4 door non turbo skyline (which lets face it u might aswell buy a camry) then itll be a grade 5. This is the same as something like a new beetle. This is how the company i worked for operated. Other comanies may vary but i doubt it. Just before you buy get quotes for both.