SAU Community

Revs Drop At 5000 To 4700 At 3rd Gear And Then Slowly Struggles To Climb. What Could Be The Problem?

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me what the problem could be?

When I rip the 34gtt, 1st and 2nd are sweet but as i put it into 3rd and once it reaches 5000 the revs drop down to 4700 and then it lags and struggles to climb back up and once it passes 5000 its normal again...

I am losing power at this point and would like to know where the problem lies? can someone please help me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Yeah have to agree clutch is a strong chance. Not really sure why it would then struggle to accelerate once it's bitten though, bit strange. Could be just that it drops just below the rev point that the cam is meant to switch between the low & high advance setting. ECU may be getting confused since ur on full throttle & the revs suddenly drop.

^^ nope not neccessarly..

it can start to slip from 3rd and onwards, or even in 2nd.. After a while, if you dont replace your clutch, it will start slipping from 1st, and u wont be able to get past 20ks.. ahhah from experience..

I remember drivin on the last day to the workshop, with the clutch slippin in 1st, i could not go faster than 20ks..

Might not even be your clutch.. maybe a more knowledgable person, could suggest something else..

Correct me if im wrong but if a clutch was slipping, u would not be goin from 5k DOWN to 4700rpm... It would be the other way round cause ur affectively reducing load on the engine.... Maybe some sort of engine management issue for a certain load condition and rev range. U'd have to play around with diff Throttle positions once u reach that condition n see if it makes a diff, id imagine these ECU's get their load readings off the TPS.

I personally doubt that it's something electronic. How does a manual car suddenly drop 300 rpm without dropping speed at the same time? They're not like an automatic which will vary revs according to how much throttle is applied.... unless the clutch is slipping. If the revs are higher torque has less of a role to accelerate the car. I'd say chances are he's slipping at middle revs at peak torque. When power takes over the clutch bites again