SAU Community

R32 - Dodgy Or Legit?

Heya.. Im new to skylines and was looking at buying an R32 GTS RB25DE.. (I know im a pussy for not getting a turbo but NSW new P plate laws wont allow me to drive one :P

I had a look at a black RB25DE of these cars, which had 95k kms on the odo.. imported in 2002. There were a couple of things that didnt seem quite right though. There was a hole just to the left of the steering wheel which had obviously been drilled, it was about 8mm in diameter about the size of my pinky. Also the vin/chassis number is indented on the little plate thing which is bolted on the car.. Correct me if im wrong but i read somewhere that this number should not be indented and if you run your finger over it, it should be smooth. I ran my finger and u could tell it was indented.. I took it for a test drive and everything seems to be ok any comments anyone?? thanks

Was the hole the dimmer switch?

I know that skylines dont have these stock and there put in for compliance (someone correct me if im wrong, But all Skylines ive seen have them after compliance).

Maybe it has fallen out? Been removed..etc?

Also, are you talking about the compliance plate? Where was it located and what color was it?

Was the hole the dimmer switch?

I know that skylines dont have these stock and there put in for compliance (someone correct me if im wrong, But all Skylines ive seen have them after compliance).

Maybe it has fallen out? Been removed..etc?

Also, are you talking about the compliance plate? Where was it located and what color was it?

Its not the compliance plate, its just a plate which is on the drivers side of the car, on the wheelmound (I think) its about 12 digits/numbers long and says nothing else.. theres nothing in the hole its just a hole in the panel.. what do you mean by the dimmer switch? I dont know what that is soz...... Thanks heaps for your help

Its not the compliance plate, its just a plate which is on the drivers side of the car, on the wheelmound (I think) its about 12 digits/numbers long and says nothing else.. theres nothing in the hole its just a hole in the panel.. what do you mean by the dimmer switch? I dont know what that is soz...... Thanks heaps for your help

Sorry i cant really help you with the Plate. Maybe take a pic? Call revs and have the cars history checked.

The Dimmer Switch is the button/turn knob that makes the dash lights bright/dim (your speed light control). In skylines they are not a OEM item and are put in for australian complaince, Due to regulations. (Like i said, Correct me if im wrong, But all skylines i have seen in Aus had these dimmer switches installed for complaince).

They are usally drilled into the dash somewhere, I have had 2 skylines, 1 was under the steering wheel, And the other was to the left of the steering wheel.

Cheers.

Sorry i cant really help you with the Plate. Maybe take a pic? Call revs and have the cars history checked.

The Dimmer Switch is the button/turn knob that makes the dash lights bright/dim (your speed light control). In skylines they are not a OEM item and are put in for australian complaince, Due to regulations. (Like i said, Correct me if im wrong, But all skylines i have seen in Aus had these dimmer switches installed for complaince).

They are usally drilled into the dash somewhere, I have had 2 skylines, 1 was under the steering wheel, And the other was to the left of the steering wheel.

Cheers.

hmm that could be it.. theres no dimmer switch in the car at all so that probably is it, although it seems like a bit of an awkward position for a dimmer switch. I thought that maybe they had wound back the ks or something. ill take some photos when its light 2moz and put em up.. thanks for all your help

Ive attached a photo.. itsa the black hole almost in the middle of the photo.. sorry about the mediocre qual, i took it with my phone. I think its probably the dimmer switch but can anyone tell with reasonable certainty??

post-27209-1141879388.jpg

also, heres a photo of the VIN plate on the car.. does anyone know if it should be indented??

Its the silver panel on the left of the photo which is infortunately caught in the glare.. thanks

Its the silver panel on the left of the photo which is infortunately caught in the glare.. thanks

Hi,

This is the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number allocated to the vehicle in Australia and is quite normal. This number can either be stamped into the chassis or engraved onto a plate that is then rivetted onto the chassis. In Australia this 17 digit number becomes the vehicle identification number for registration in Australia and replaces the original chassis number from the manufacturer.

The plate that you need to be careful of is the original manufacturers plate fitted to the engine firewall. These are the plates that should be embossed not engraved. These plates have Nissan Motor Corp and information including chassis number - model number - paint code etc.

Cheers

Jo

Hey champ, After seeing the photo, Thats pretty much where the one in my R33 was.

Its also weird that you dont have a dimmer switch as ive said previously I think there needed for compliance.

Maybe remove one of the bottom pannels and see if you can see any taped up or broken wires which would have led to the dimmer switch.

You can find some pretty weird things with imports (and all cars for that matter). On my R33, I found signs of previously installed boost gauge and several other things, behind the dash. (taped up wires and a blocked hose from the plenum, etc).

cheers.

Another thought,

It could have been a dual stage boost controller switch, There usally installed under so no (cops) see them.

(just an idea?)

hmm thanks heaps for that r0ma.. its a non turbo so it wouldnt be a boost controller switch, unless something very strange is happening :D I might have a look under the panel one day soon.. now one last question :) behind the back seats, just below the windscreen, right in the middle is a very funny lookin box with a strange lookin spherical fan or something, it seems to serve no purpose. Im a bit of a Newb when it comes to this kinda stuff so this is probably something that comes with every r32, but can someone temm me what it is !!! danke