SAU Community

Need Good Mechanic

HR-32

Yer i ripped out my rb20 and cylinder #6 had a snapped stud on it. Funny thing was when i rang up Nissan before buying my import they said to watch out for snapped exhausat studs on the rb's ;)

When dropping the new motor in, i replaced the studs in my head, and with a torque wrench it takes soo little effort to get them to the proper torque...if u were going by hand its would be too easy just to go that little too hard. Then next time the manifold does its heat cycle...bang :O

With regards to doing it yourself...its one of those..can i be farked or not, as getting enough room in there to get a drill in, then tapping it out....takes time and a bent back (which i dont have one for anymore)

Edited by Bl4cK32

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is it possible to do it at home or am i better off paying a workshop to do it?

The machanic i had around works out at Agastino Mitsubishi and said that it usually takes a couple of days to drill out the stuck studs and replace them

A couple of days is about right for a workshop, a day sitting there and to look at it, half a day for the job, the other half until they ring you to say its done. ;)

I've never had good experiences with workshops, they always take forever and a day. :yes:

But it can't be helped, there's hold ups etc...

But yes as Bl4ck32 said.. can you be buggered getting bent back or not. :D

I'm contemplating spending $250 to have the subframe bushes fitted rather than doing them myself.

A couple of days is about right for a workshop, a day sitting there and to look at it, half a day for the job, the other half until they ring you to say its done. :)

I've never had good experiences with workshops, they always take forever and a day. :)

But it can't be helped, there's hold ups etc...

Yeah a bit the same here - although boostworx were REALLY good to me on saturday, they installed a new vaccum modulator for me (after my awesome transmission fluid smoke show :D), on a sat morning, happened to have a spare one lying around, and only charged me $100 - no complaints here!

But yeah, with workshops you need to expect a few delays/issues - often someone will come in with a 'simple job' and it will turn into a massive one, and then push back all the rest of the work. Mine was supposed to be done within a 'couple of weeks' (engine wiring, etc) and it ended up being a few months. :D oh well.

Taking your exhaust manifold off isn't too bad, and as long as theres a bit of meat on the stud sticking out, you shouldn't have much trouble at all (lots of wd40 helps). I kind of weigh up the problem, if I have the spare time to fix it, how serious it is, and if I have the tools needed to do it and lastly if it's a pain in the arse job ;) I've done a gearbox swap before and next time i'll be paying someone else :(

I'm contemplating spending $250 to have the subframe bushes fitted rather than doing them myself.

Ring that Ryan lad mentioned here on Page 1(?).... cheaper than $250 for sure.

I gave ryan a buzz however the number appears not to be connected.

Maxx can you check the number?

ah ok, bad luck then. It was the correct number 2 months ago, when he installed all my suspenion gear (shocks, swaybars, bushes etc)

Thanks maxx

I just received my Bilstein shocks and the Whiteline subframe alignment kit (to go with the Whiteline swaybars and castor kit I got a week or so ago), and gave Ryan a call.

His number is now 0401 727 440 and is readily available to install suspension gear for you all.

Im going to help him do it this coming Monday (3rd May) to do it all, and its going to be like around $200, seeing that I live like just across the road from him! - awesome value either which way though!

Let you all know how it goes - Brendan

Brendan u have bad memory! :P

Brendan u have bad memory! :D

Sorry lads - got a very bad memory !!!

:P

actually - I thought hhhmmm that number doesnt ring a bell, reached for my phone but figured no, cubes's searches are always right! lol

Edited by Tangles

• 4 months later...

well, received my sliding performance highflow just now, and called Ryan.

monday getting the turbo, exhaust cam gear wheel, and some braided brake lines (time permitting) installed.

just a plain-jane RB25 highflow, nothing special. "Stage 1" Id imagine.

yeah, the kneecap-out is a great excuse to go to Ryans place on Monday and help him install it ! Better take some gloves, LOL

Ryan did a fantastic job on the turbo install, and the other goodies that were fitted up.

Definately give him a call lads; definately if you are a southener. Very very happy, great bloke who does an honest job. Knows skylines inside out, could do any job Im sure.