SAU Community

Welding 2 stock intercoolers into 1

Hey

I was just thinkin,

Would there be any benefits in welding 2 R33 GTST intercoolers together to make 1 big one?

From what i have read, the R33 intercooler is quite efficient at 12psi in terms of flow restirction, and if enlarging its area, it would possible be better at cooling (say 60%? over 40%).

As R33 intercoolers are readily available at around 100 bucks and the labour and welding at 100 aswell, it might be worth thinking about and doing.

Could be a good alternative for those that want to keep the stock turbo and not go for a huge aftermarket i/c.

Dean

I have thought about the same thing, but have never really looked into it.

I have seen it done in ZOOM (iss. 37) to an r31 skyline with an RB20DET in it. they welded 2 Isuzu Piazza IC's together side by side, with long tanks top and bottom to provide twice the throughput - for a total cost of under 500 bucks. Apparently the Piazza Ic's flow well, adn are nice and sturdy, making it easy to do such a job.

All up, they said for a budget Ic, it flowed as well as some of the $1500 customs.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by bludbunny

I have thought about the same thing, but have never really looked into it.

I have seen it done in ZOOM (iss. 37) to an r31 skyline with an RB20DET in it.  they welded 2 Isuzu Piazza IC's together side by side, with long tanks top and bottom to provide twice the throughput - for a total cost of under 500 bucks.  Apparently the Piazza Ic's flow well, adn are nice and sturdy, making it easy to do such a job.

All up, they said for a budget Ic, it flowed as well as some of the $1500 customs.

then did u read the follow up article on that white r31?? they installed a gtr intercooler and it worked 90% better then the 2 crap coolers welded together!