SAU Community

Tein Height Adjustables

i got a set of tein height adjustables on my r33 and was havin trouble cracking the 2 locknuts apart as i wana lower it. i managed to get the bottom one off as i drowned the thread with INOX spray, so that was freed up, i managed to get that loose with a stilson and pipe.

the second 1 (one that the coil sits on) wouldnt move. i sprayed it heaps, even spring clamped the coil to take pressure off it, and still couldnt free it.

NOTE: i didnt take the ket so i used a long screwdriver and hammer.

can any1 give me advice to tricks to loosen it?? i cant get the stilson on it coz there aint enuf room to grip on the ring..

thanks

try penetrene ,heat(around the nut with a heat gun) tapping around the nut with a hammer , but be careful not to bruise the nut to much ,have you cleaned the thread out with a wire brush throughly?

do not take anything hotter than a hair dryer to your shocks, an i cant see that really doing much good. as seen on most shock absorbers is a warning "DO NOT HEAT"....

some how get more leverage on your C spanners, slide a pipe or something over it? hammer an screwdriver may help jar it, but be careful not to damage the ring. only other suggestion is use something like RP7/CRC/WD40 etc.. leave it for 5mins an come back an give it another go.

i should have said heat as only a last resort and only to wram them up to help draw any lubricant in to free the nut, a small amout of heat will expand the nut and heat transfer should be minimal

if all else fails you will have to take the strut out disasemble it and split the nut off the thread, check the dia of the thread before you do !!! it shoold be a generic metric thread size and you should be able to buy a new one from any half decent bearing store

when you go to give the nut a tap with a hammer try and use some thing like a copper hammer it should not damage the nut but still give a decent hit . if you do end up needing a nut you need to know thread dia and thread pitch ,eg ,1,1.25,1.5, 1.75 you will need to get hold of a thread pitch gauge to measure the thread, when you do get it all free and moving use a good anti seize to stop it from happening again , any way best of luck.

where can u get a C spanner from?? i didnt egt it with mine as i bought the car second hand and wasnt given it

also try the plumbing section of the hardware store, seriously there like a third of the price.

putting the shock in a bench-vise helps also.. just remember not to clamp on the casing, damaging this will f**k your shock up, clamp at the bottom like where the bolt goes through and attaches it to the lower control arm... but once you got it in the vise you can go to town on it... with your c-spanners and such...

Just a passing thought. The newer Tein C Spanners have the option to put a big socket breaker bar on them to get more levereage. They are expensive though. Maybe $80 a pair. See if any one local has some yhou can borrow.

Regards

Brad

Just a passing thought. The newer Tein C Spanners have the option to put a big socket breaker bar on them to get more levereage. They are expensive though. Maybe $80 a pair. See if any one local has some yhou can borrow.

Regards

Brad

or once again go to the hardware store and buy a pipe of some-kind to fit over the end of the spanner handle (which ever you decide to get) and wah-lah more leverage.