SAU Community

Sumitomo Tyres-opinions; Michelin Pilot Sports-are They Only Summer Tyres?

guys

i went to Dr Rubber in victoria st today. They guy recommended me Sumitomo for my R33 GTS-T for $180 per tyre (235/45/17).

He says the perform very well..

any thoughts?

i asked about Michelin Pilot Sport. He mentions that they are summer tyres.

I had them in my car (front) for a year and have no problems ... Any one have any experience to share about Michelin PILOT SPORTS for all 4 seasons???

guys

i went to Dr Rubber in victoria st today. They guy recommended me Sumitomo for my R33 GTS-T for $180 per tyre (235/45/17).

He says the perform very well..

any thoughts?

i asked about Michelin Pilot Sport. He mentions that they are summer tyres.

I had them in my car (front) for a year and have no problems ... Any one have any experience to share about Michelin PILOT SPORTS for all 4 seasons???

now i cant be sure but it sounds like he just wants to sell you his possibly stock-piled sumitomo's! that isnt a bad price per tire but having said that i havent tried them so cant comment on their quality!

The reason i think he may be trying to sell you the sumi's is that pilot sports are gonna be in a different league altogether, and most likely a different league in price as well!! The sumi's sound like a good-for-the-price-tyre and im guessing prob around the federal SS595 spec for that price, but the p.sports, they are completely awesome. And i found braking performance in the wet to be unreal! thats where they really impressed me. I should state that i used the pilot sports on a E class merc (heavier than a GTS-t) with abs. After the pilot sports i put on the then new Yoko C.Drive's, and they were a step back in performance. The Pilot sports as expensive as they are, offered awesome turn in, progressive break away, and great braking.

Whether that extra performance is worth the premium over the economical sumi's depends on what your after really...

One things for sure, Pilot Sport II's are going on the merc next! Heard great things about them.

cheers.. tyre choice is never easy with everyone telling you this and that plus the dealer trying to sell you this and that :)

Dude, unless its snowing where you live it you should always be on a "summer" tyre. Summer and winter tyres have specific heat ranges where they work in.

Summer tyres harden up too much in cold weather and stop gripping. Winter tyres overheat when being driven at reasonable speeds in temperate climates.

You'll be lucky to be able to get $500 per Michelin Pilot Sport. They are a fantastic tyre, but you will pay a premium for it. They're not in the same class as Sumi's.

My mechanic also resells Sumitomo HRTZ-II tyres, and he says they work pretty well. They're no racing tyre, but they're a good for street use. Quiet, reasonable life, and reasonable grip. I'm up for new tyres now, and I'm tossing up between them and Falken FK452s.

I put some sumitomo 235 45 17's onto an Audi 2.4 Turbo, and the bloke drives his cars hard, and he loves them, but other than that, I havent had a lot to do with Sumitomo, but my understanding of them are that they are ment to be a good quality tyre, made in japan and semi silica, dunno. see if you can scratch up fomr more info on them.

From what I heard, Sumitomo are the manufacturer for quite a few brands out there (Dunlop, and a couple of others that I can't remember).

I'm not sure if they just do the manufacturing, or if they part own more famous brands, but in terms of quality control they're no worse than more famous brands people are happy to endorse on reputation since it comes out of the same factory.

ive got sumitomo tyres on both sets of rims for my car ( stockies and aftermarkets ) both are different type of sumitomo tyres, ( dont recall the types but ). all i know is the tyres on the stock rims are gay ++ and dont grip for shit in the wet, they're "ok" in the dry but the tyres on the aftermarket rims are way better