SAU Community

P Plater Here - Us And The Law

Hi all, I'm 21 and got my license a couple of months ago, and have recently come into a situation where I'm able to buy an extremely good condition R33 GTS-T from a colleague. However I'm also aware of the ridiculous restriction laws on P-platers.

I don't want to wait 3 years while kids are driving around in more powerful Aussie 6-cylinders. What would the penalty be for me driving the Skyline, and how often do you think I'd be pulled over?

Edited by FTB

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

penalty= instant loss of license. honestly i've only ever been pulled over twice and they were because i was being stupid (burnout & speeding) drive normal and ur not likely to be pulled over unless theres a defect station in that case your gone...

Hey,

I'm a P plater too, have had my R33 for a few months now, and haven't been pulled over yet.. went through a RBT station and they gave me a bit cos the number plate was bent to fit in, and one cop literally yelled at me for having the other driving lights on. I've been driving sensibly and haven't had any trouble.

Cas.

Hi all, I'm 21 and got my license a couple of months ago, and have recently come into a situation where I'm able to buy an extremely good condition R33 GTS-T from a colleague. However I'm also aware of the ridiculous restriction laws on P-platers.

I don't want to wait 3 years while kids are driving around in more powerful Aussie 6-cylinders. What would the penalty be for me driving the Skyline, and how often do you think I'd be pulled over?

I work with someone who got pulled into an RBT on the weekend in her audi turbo and is loosing her license for driving a turbo car on p's... I honestly don't think it's worth the risk. If you're that keen on the style of car, get a non-turbo one. If you want more power, do an RB30DE build, make her tough and whack that in there...

just my 2c, your license, your money

To the guys who drive and havne't been pulled over, do you wear your P's? Isn't it a big giveaway if the cops see a Skyline with a P on it? That's what's bothering me.

SUR33L: They didn't notice that you were a P plater in a turbo car? O_o

Sometimes it seems like a huge risk, sometimes not at all.

mate bottom line.. if u want one.. get one. I had a r33 for 2 years on p's .. never been pulled over ONCE.. literally not even once.. i now drive a r34 gtt modified of its head.. and im still yet to be pulled over.. its the luck of the draw.. half this forum have modified cars on there p's. Its personal preference. I say if u like it.. get it.. f*k the cops tru?

:iluvff: good luck

I don't want to wait 3 years while kids are driving around in more powerful Aussie 6-cylinders. What would the penalty be for me driving the Skyline.....?

Laws vary from state to state.

Not much point asking this in a general discussion area where you're going to get responses from people in all states.

Try a search in your local state or territory to find the information which is relevant to you.

Yea the cops tend to pick on P-Platers with "hotted up" cars so to speak... yesterday i got stared down by a cop when i was driving, he pulled over and did a U-Turn so i went into the nearest car park and just jumped out my car and went for a walk lol

Can they do anything if your not in your car??

i dont know how the laws vary from state to state but in melbourne its 125kw per 1000kg of mass

im on my p's and drive a gtr with 275kw before that i had a twin turbo supra with some mods as my first car

cops hate me and pull me over all the time but what can u do

u want the car, u play the game, u win some u lose some its that simple son

and to the guy who said "if i were a cop id always pull over p platers"

what the f**k for

r u on your p's

maybe u just did'nt have a nice car on your p's and feel a little jealous

Edited by GUN_METAL_GTR32

It's really tempting to get a turbo car, but the handling of turbo cars are extremely different than NA cars.

I've driven many types of cars, and I'll dare say that an NA V8 engine with more rwkw handles easier than one with a turbo as an NA does not have a turbo which "kicks in" (obviously). It's not about power, but about consistency and predictability in power output, which is really important in built-up areas and bad weather conditions (e.g. wet roads).

But whatever. If you plan on getting one, just don't say no one warned you if you get into an accident. :happy:

in nsw , if you got your p's before july 2005 -

your allowed to have a turbod car or up to a V8 - they were the rules brought out. so if you made that cut off date - regardless if you get pulled over you are fine .

i lost my license 2 months ago - for 6 months . which doesnt change anything as far as what vehicle type i can drive . im just paused for the amount time . but in general as stated , cops will only pull you over if you are doing something wrong! but whats weird is:

i got pulled over and i pulled into a petrol stn . facing into the wall , the cops fined me etc - but they didnt even have the thought of looking at my car - and they could clearly see it was a fast car - and a P plater driving! - i stood lucky on that side of the fine . i was mainly worried about them looking at the fmic . and pod filter . but it was dark - i could of just been lucky , because i know of other people who have been caught speeding and got pulled into an rta inspection bay and got defected for illegal mods . mainly exhuast volume and things like rims out of the gaurds .

if you play it safe on the road and not be stupid you shouldnt have trouble . but you will get the occasional arogant cop who thinks he owns the world.

i remember my 1st car was a honda prelude = i spent a couple of grand on rims exhaust - make it look good etc ... it was a good car for a first and was clean . i was driving with a mate . at the lights , pretty conjested traffic - some snobby cop was in front , and i was watching his mirrors - and the bastard - adjusts them so he can check out my car from behind , trying to focus them to see my car and who i was .... meanwhile i kept driving and he tried following me . some how i managed to loose him .

where is the justice - they are always going to be assholes....

Don't you kids get it ?

You are not allowed to drive a turbo car. Regardless of what you may think, you do not have the skill to safely control a turbocharged car on your P's.

The majority of the people on this forum will agree.

If you drive a turbocharged car and get caught, which I hope you do. You will not be insured. You will need to pay for all damages, and injuries from your OWN/PARENTS pockets, which I doubt any of you will be able to afford.

Buy a another, non-turbo car, enjoy it. Spend the rest on getting drunk and chicks.

I don't want to wait 3 years while kids are driving around in more powerful Aussie 6-cylinders.

You should have gotten your license earlier, then.

The laws are there to nominally protect you from yourself, which I barely care about, but also to protect me from you....which I care a lot about.

I've you've got aussie 6 cylinder power envy, go buy an Aussie 6 cylinder.