SAU Community

upgrading flywheel

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by dru32

I think Im getting a bit ahead of myself :P Better check for compatibility with new clutch etc first...

yes u better!

they r based in sydney and it will come direct to your door (after u pay for it) in about 2-3 days

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he ships it by Ozy post, (i think he will) :

(I think it will be a little bit too big to fit in your mailbox!) so they will pop a little white slip in your mailbox saying that you have a parcel waiting for you at your nearest post office.

By the way, your clutch will fit this flywheel as there is no size diffrence between this and the stock flywheel. Its only lighter & looks nicer! :P

I have spoken to Tim the guy who run the site, and says that he cant go any lower on the clutches as they are just to cheap as is. and also we have to pay shipping! :P

Nevermind, still cheaper than the Exceedy ones (500) and there aluminium!. baaahhh

He is trying to get them machined out, i will keep you guys posted when it gets closer to wednesday. So dont forget to email me!

([email protected])

Originally posted by JNR24

I have spoken to Tim the guy who run the site, and says that he cant go any lower on the clutches as they are just to cheap as is. and also we have to pay shipping!  :P

You say he cant go any lower on the clutches... Do you mean flywheels??? Or can the the flywheels become cheaper thru group buy?

ohhh yeh,

man, i am having a blonde day today ffs :)

By the way might be waiting a while for these flywheels, the person who machines them has gone to the UK for 5 months. :P

so he is looking at alternative machining shops. drop him a email on his site.

cheers trev

Originally posted by dru32

You say he cant go any lower on the clutches... Do you mean flywheels??? Or can the the flywheels become cheaper thru group buy?

i ment flywheels dude...

Just a thought I had on this lightened flywheel, it weighs 6kg versus 9kg for the stockie, the Ogura one from Japan REV210 has is 4.8kg , it also costs another $200 though, I don't want to discourage any one from getting it from Horsepowerinabox as I'm interested in getting one aswell, I just thought maybe is it worth asking NENGUN if he could do a better price for a group buy, want do you think? Also would the extra 1.2kg lighter be even noticed?

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by turbomad

Just a thought I had on this lightened flywheel, it weighs 6kg versus 9kg for the stockie, the Ogura one from Japan REV210 has is 4.8kg , it also costs another $200 though, I don't want to discourage any one from getting it from Horsepowerinabox as I'm interested in getting one aswell, I just thought maybe is it worth asking NENGUN if he could do a better price for a group buy, want do you think? Also would the extra 1.2kg lighter be even noticed?

good point, i dont mind paying $200 more for the lighter item

I dont know if this is much of a concern to anyone, but a lighter flywheel will mean the car will not get as good economy. This is because the momentum of the heavier flywheel helps it for freeway travelling. Thats just what my mechanic mate said. I got the stock flywheel lightened a little bit, and it did make a difference to how quick it revs.(and drops revs)

Guys I changed my clutch on my 32 2 weeks ago. The flywheel must be machined if it is 2nd hand as this is 1 of the parts that grips onto the clutch pucks. I made the mistake of not knowing that the standard 32 flywheel that I purchased from www.justjap.com.au had to be machined, it then took 1.5 hours and $44 inc GST to get the thing machined. I had a heavily (very expensive) flywheel in the car. I now have spares (Exceedy twin spring button clutch and expensive lightened flywheel as spares.) Make sure the clutch you are putting in can be re-pucked as it will save you a lot next time you change it, and lets face it...it wont be that far down the track (I know mine wont)

Also, make sure the clutch comes with the 'throw-out' bearing replacement.

If you have any further questions, PM me and I will be more than glad to help, I also have pics of the chewed out clutch and my lightened flywheel...

Originally posted by MrZac

I dont know if this is much of a concern to anyone, but a lighter flywheel will mean the car will not get as good economy. This is because the momentum of the heavier flywheel helps it for freeway travelling. Thats just what my mechanic mate said. I got the stock flywheel lightened a little bit, and it did make a difference to how quick it revs.(and drops revs)

Yeh i realise that.. But O well.. It will only make a real difference on the highway and stuff.. I would think it would be better in start stof situations wouldnt it??

yes, better acceleration due to less rotational mass, quicker rmp building, but will slow down quicker on the hwy and chew a little more fuel.

I am a sales rep and drive my 32 for work, and have done for 18 months, the difference in fuel consumption is basically nil...so don't change your slywheel either way because of that, I can only notice a slight difference in rmp build speed versus my old lightened flweheel.

However I am sure on any high horse power GTS T or GTR that the difference would be much more noticable...

I am running a Chrome Molly Lightened Flywheel that is from Tim's Horsepowerinabox.com

I honestly wouldn't go back. It increased off boost acceleration especially in first and made taking off from a stand still easier however for some strange reason it does require around an extra 500rpm on board when launching but it launches a lot better than it used to. It seems easier to control the wheelspin upon launching. Not that a GTS4 has problems in that department. :)

I noticed the deceleration in gears and it will also help save the syncro's in your box when changing at high RPMS.

It wont increase the acceleration speed when you are launching and only operating in a 1500-2000rpm power band however pulling out of corners etc and general track or street driving it will make the car feel slightly more responsive.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by -Joel-

I am running a Chrome Molly Lightened Flywheel that is from Tim's Horsepowerinabox.com

I honestly wouldn't go back. It increased off boost acceleration especially in first and made taking off from a stand still easier however for some strange reason it does require around an extra 500rpm on board when launching but it launches a lot better than it used to. It seems easier to control the wheelspin upon launching. Not that a GTS4 has problems in that department. :D

I noticed the deceleration in gears and it will also help save the syncro's in your box when changing at high RPMS.

It wont increase the acceleration speed when you are launching and only operating in a 1500-2000rpm power band however pulling out of corners etc and general track or street driving it will make the car feel slightly more responsive.

Whats clutch did u attach that flywheel 2?

At the time I asked for a clutch that would handle 200rwkw.

I'm making around 160rwkw and on 4500rpm launches (not dropping the clutch) it slips when I click second and smells.

I use the clutch to control wheel spin when first moving off the line which = bad but quick launches.

With 152rwkw @ 12psi and Andy's stock R33 GTR launching at 5000rpm I managed to hang in front right up through a bit of fourth where I backed off.

It was a HD 30% more clamping pressure from horsepowerinabox. Tim at the time when he owned RPM fitted it and offered me a $$ for a new flywheel that I honestly couldn't refuse.

The reason why the clutch slips a little like brake pads. They heat up and fade.. Same with the standard 'organic' clutches.

This is why I personally would go for a kevlar clutch next time round as they don't have half the trouble with fading.

Either that or go a twin plate.

Also regarding the weight of it.. I have no idea. It has had as much meat taken out of it as possible. I didn't get a drop in fuel economy if it be around town or on the highway. Still getting 550-600km's per tank on the open road and just under 500 around the city. If anything you would think that it would improve economy around the city.

twin plates are not at all necessary on the street unless your running huge power and 4wd. I like many others recently hooked up a Extreme single plate ceramic button clutch with sprung centre, and pres plate, which offers awesome bite, no chance of slipping. The best thing is that its not at all jerky and is very user friendly unlike multi plates (also no rattling that the multi plates get).