SAU Community

Dodgy Afm + Other Problems?

hey all,

while driving on the freeway in 5th i was half booting it and all of a sudden.. no power, nothing the car just cut for a split second then kept going feeling abit sluggish (could be paranoia) but didnt feel right. stopped at the lights later and then the car stalled. i started it back up and it was all fine. drove it home and it happened again like the engine was compeltely non responsive howevr this time it died. i pulled over and then started it again and it worked fine.

This all happened again today so i dropped it into the mechanics just to be safe and he says its my afm, and it will cost 400+ to recondition. could this problem be anything else like coils or something? and if it is afm would the tutorials i found on soldering etc be relevant?

thanks for the help

it definately sounds like AFM, but dont pay $400 to have it 'reconditioned'. You can try getting some electical contact cleaner and cleaning it with that, but you should be able to find a 2nd hand afm for < $100.

yea thanks, i was thinking maybe those pins are loose or something (something i read in the DIY section).

so u dont think it could be coil packs or anything?

the poor performance could be due to coilpacks causing a miss, but the stalling and hunting is indicative of an AFM problem.. Plus the fact your mechanics said the same thing certainly points towards it... Only way to see for sure would be a CONSULT hookup.

100% the AFm. ive just gone through this whole hedf*k of finding out what it was.

exacally the same symptoms in my case. sometimes u will find it only revs to 2.5k.

my car cut out in a freeway tunnel tho

Mine used to cut out. replaced the afm for $120. fixed that problem. It also stoped the rev hunting from happening all the time. still idels high tho

I don't have this problem but i recently swapped mine out and sold the old one.

It was working fine but had a lot of greasy build up in there.

CLEAN IT YOURSELF GUYS.

If you've never seen one, the actual sensor part of the filter looks so small and delicate I'm suprised these things atcually work! :/

Get a can of contact cleaner and spary to your hearts content. Leaves no residue and heaps of crap will come off.

You're safe to spray the wire sensor too.

Pics here of one removed : http://people.aapt.net.au/~jason1973/Ebay/

To remove the AFM will take a good 5 mins with 4 bolts and 1 hose clamp.

So even if you've never done anything mechanical in your life, this is a good place to start.

$400 for a recon!!! I bet he would do the same spray i suggested, what a rip!

Brand new Z32 is around $350 for goodness sake.

(By the way, i sold mine, working, for $50)