SAU Community

Aftermaket Traction Control

I saw Ford advertising traction control on their XR6s just recently and was wondering if anyone out there knows if it is available after market or if any one is running it on their rear wheel drive skylines( or any other rear wheel drive ) ????

Thanks Guys and Gals

Racelogic in the UK make one of the best aftermarket systems available, if you're into sports car driving.

Not only is it adjustable like on the current Ferraris with their Mattinetto system, so you can decide how much slip it permits before cutting power, but it can also be used as an (anti-lag) launch control. It also has a spark cut module as well as the standard fuel cut, so quite possibly it can be used as an anti-lag system while on the move too.

Its not cheap, though.

Edited by scathing

putting it onto a car without it could be hard (and expensive), since you usually need speed senders on each wheel.

a few ecu's have a launch control (such as the msd ignition system) but all they do is have a 2 step rev limit. my mate has a msd in his stanza. he has the switch setup on the clutch pedal. when the clutch is in the rev limit is set to 6000rpm so he sits on the line and holds it flat to the floor and it will sit at 6000rpm, and as soon as he lets the clutch out it will rev to the rev limit (9000rpm).

it doesn't stop wheelspin at all. just means you can get off the line at optimum rpm.

If your just looking to add some grip. A after market limited slip and some wider wheels with sticky tyres should give you a similar effect. A 2-way limited slip can add traction under acceleration and braking. Are you looking to gain traction for drag racing, or for the road, or both?

Racelogic in the UK make one of the best aftermarket systems available, if you're into sports car driving.

Not only is it adjustable like on the current Ferraris with their Mattinetto system, so you can decide how much slip it permits before cutting power, but it can also be used as an (anti-lag) launch control. It also has a spark cut module as well as the standard fuel cut, so quite possibly it can be used as an anti-lag system while on the move too.

Its not cheap, though.

Funny thing... I have one of these (the Top of the range system) sitting in a draw at home... I need to get around to getting it installed.

They aren't cheap.

putting it onto a car without it could be hard (and expensive), since you usually need speed senders on each wheel.

a few ecu's have a launch control (such as the msd ignition system) but all they do is have a 2 step rev limit. my mate has a msd in his stanza. he has the switch setup on the clutch pedal. when the clutch is in the rev limit is set to 6000rpm so he sits on the line and holds it flat to the floor and it will sit at 6000rpm, and as soon as he lets the clutch out it will rev to the rev limit (9000rpm).

it doesn't stop wheelspin at all. just means you can get off the line at optimum rpm.

the Race logic unit uses the ABS wheel sensors on each wheel... If your car does not have this you can buy the sensors from Race Logic.

works by cutting the injector pulse to give the maximum power you can use without slip.

the one I got also has Launch control AND a flat shift feature.

the one I got also has Launch control AND a flat shift feature.

that's cool. so does it have a spark interrupter for the flat change feature? that is how the v8stupidcars ones work. they have a switch on the shifter that they press as they grab it so it cuts the spark as they pull the gear through so the is very little torque transmitted through the gearbox as they do it.

that's cool. so does it have a spark interrupter for the flat change feature? that is how the v8stupidcars ones work. they have a switch on the shifter that they press as they grab it so it cuts the spark as they pull the gear through so the is very little torque transmitted through the gearbox as they do it.

There is a switch i think you have to place below the clutch so when it is in it acts like a rev limiter... As I haven't installed it yet you may be able to preset the max revs when flat shifting but I am not sure.

The thing with Race logic is it cuts fuel and not the spark which they explain how it all works through their website.

Edited by shaolin

There is a switch i think you have to place below the clutch so when it is in it acts like a rev limiter... As I haven't installed it yet you may be able to preset the max revs when flat shifting but I am not sure.

The thing with Race logic is it cuts fuel and not the spark which they explain how it all works through their website.

the switch would be for the launch control. that is how my mates works. it has a contact switch that disconnect once the clutch is pushed in about halfway.

the flat change switch would have to be on the gear stick or steering wheel, since flat changing is done without the clutch. that is when you keep you foot flat to the floor and just pull it from 1 gear to the next. i used to do that on my motocross bike sometimes when racing.

the switch would be for the launch control. that is how my mates works. it has a contact switch that disconnect once the clutch is pushed in about halfway.

the flat change switch would have to be on the gear stick or steering wheel, since flat changing is done without the clutch. that is when you keep you foot flat to the floor and just pull it from 1 gear to the next. i used to do that on my motocross bike sometimes when racing.

Ahh k...

the flat change I am talking about is using the clutch but not taking your foot of the accelerator.

Was just curious is all ! Seeing the Ford have it now installed on the XR6s I was wondering if they out sourced the traction control unit or had it made in house by Ford themselves !

Was interested for mainly drag racing on the track.

And I also actually thought about using the ABS sensors for that specific purpose. I am a bit surprised the isnt a redily available aftermarket unit out there. One thats not a squillion dollars that is !

Was interested for mainly drag racing on the track.

Get the RaceLogic then.

It has proper launch control functionality (with anti-lag), and since you can dial in how much slip you want you can let the computer work out how much to let the wheels slip to keep your revs up in the meat of the torque, and on-boost.