SAU Community

Need A Quote On Freight Within Japan Please? Help!

YSR020

Hi all,

I have just purchased a car in Japan and am needing to get it freighted from f*kuoka Prefecture to Tokyo, in order to be shipped to me. The car is not running...is anyone here able to provide me with a quote in anyway? If so, the relevant company etc would also be appreciated.

Any help would be much appreciated...I need this relatively urgently.

Feel free to PM if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Edited by YSR020

yep, they are definitely going to be the most likely place to get help. and this may seem obvious, but if the car is coming to australia why bother sending it to Tokyo? just ship it from Kyushu now. hey it may be the south but they have ports there too you know... :) plenty of roro in and out of kanda, but again I guess if your car is a non-starter you are going to be up for some more dough when shipping to aus too.

yep, they are definitely going to be the most likely place to get help. and this may seem obvious, but if the car is coming to australia why bother sending it to Tokyo? just ship it from Kyushu now. hey it may be the south but they have ports there too you know... :w00t: plenty of roro in and out of kanda, but again I guess if your car is a non-starter you are going to be up for some more dough when shipping to aus too.

Ah Beer Baron, forever the source of information, I was hoping you'd reply to this thread. Here's some info that might clarify things:

- The car is not a Skyline, it's not even a Nissan, and it's coming here as a classic vehicle (1973 model)

- Yes, the guys bring it in for me have it sorted, but they have never bought a non-runner from f*kuoka to Tokyo and the price they've given me is off the chart, compared to what another person I know has paid

- As it is a non-runner, shipping it here in a container is the most cost effective option

- It apparently can't be shipped directly out of Kenda as it is not a 'usual' pick up point and will end up costing more

I hope that clarifies some things - I just need a figure on transportation of a non-runner from f*kuoka to Tokyo so I can verify if I am being ripped off or not. To put it into perspective, a friend had his car transported and that cost him 30000Y, the quote I have is for 180000Y - now you can see why.

:rofl:

they are leading you up the garden path. trust me. forget the idea of transporting the car from f*kuoka (Kyushu) to Tokyo (honshu). waste of time and money. Kanda is a pretty big port and plenty of containerised freight, and ro-ro can be dispatched from there. I have no idea why they would tell you that Kanda is not a 'usual' freight point. usual for who? or what? thousands and thousands of cars leave japan from kyushu every year. spending 180K to send the car to tokyo just doesn't make sense to me. you would be better off spending 180K at a workshop in f*kuoka to get it running, then just send it ro-ro. then you save money on the freight also. :w00t: but seriously, I can't think of anything freight wise happening in any port on honshu that can't be done at a port on kyushu. I would really try to get it on a ship where it is. that will be the easiest, safest, cheapest and fastest option for sure.

they are leading you up the garden path. trust me. forget the idea of transporting the car from f*kuoka (Kyushu) to Tokyo (honshu). waste of time and money. Kanda is a pretty big port and plenty of containerised freight, and ro-ro can be dispatched from there. I have no idea why they would tell you that Kanda is not a 'usual' freight point. usual for who? or what? thousands and thousands of cars leave japan from kyushu every year. spending 180K to send the car to tokyo just doesn't make sense to me. you would be better off spending 180K at a workshop in f*kuoka to get it running, then just send it ro-ro. then you save money on the freight also. :rofl: but seriously, I can't think of anything freight wise happening in any port on honshu that can't be done at a port on kyushu. I would really try to get it on a ship where it is. that will be the easiest, safest, cheapest and fastest option for sure.

I agree with you entirely!

That said, the guy in Japan is seemingly doing myself and my Melbourne guy over on this - can you suggest anyone that can assist with this at all? Any leads would be great...I just hope it's not too late...180000Y is not chump change...it's a fair bit of coin :w00t:

I assume ro-ro = roll on, roll off...which it cannot do as it's not running, and I'm not sure 180000Y will be enough to get it running...have no idea what's wrong with it.

Edited by YSR020

Considering the car isnt even running, its easy to see and understand the rise in prices.

BB says they're leading you up the garden path. I say and -i live here by the way, In Tokyo - that its "Cho mendokusai" ( really troublesome ) to send a non working car anywhere for shipping.

Its hard to find an unscrupulous buyer or seller here in this country. They do exist BUT you have to go looking for them. Perhaps you've stumbled upon a hidden dugout of japanese merchant thieves waiting to ransack you! LOL>!

My advice would be to get it running first. do that and then demand they ship from Kyushu. Its your money after all. You can always WALK AWAY!

Think about it. Why and how badly do you need a ride that isnt even working when you could wait and get one that IS working!

Considering the car isnt even running, its easy to see and understand the rise in prices.

BB says they're leading you up the garden path. I say and -i live here by the way, In Tokyo - that its "Cho mendokusai" ( really troublesome ) to send a non working car anywhere for shipping.

Its hard to find an unscrupulous buyer or seller here in this country. They do exist BUT you have to go looking for them. Perhaps you've stumbled upon a hidden dugout of japanese merchant thieves waiting to ransack you! LOL>!

My advice would be to get it running first. do that and then demand they ship from Kyushu. Its your money after all. You can always WALK AWAY!

Think about it. Why and how badly do you need a ride that isnt even working when you could wait and get one that IS working!

Why and how badly is obvious, when you realise how rare the car is, which further leads me to the point of me possibly being ripped off. That said, while I agree it being a non-running car makes it more troublesome, there is a very big difference between 30,000Y and 180,000Y.

Apparently the seller "had to get rid of the car quickly" and I have little choice but to accept the 180000Y shipping 'quote' - although I have not paid for it as yet. What I am trying to do is get a quote through other means to validate either claim.

Is it a coincidence that my advised 'maximum' bid is within 10000Y of the total cost claimed by the guy in Japan? Also, this is the first time my Australian guy has used this guy in Japan for such things. Maybe this "japanese merchant thieves" is not far from the truth - and that is what I'm trying to find out.

Hmm....'having to get rid of something quickly' isn't a great sign.

Hopefully this has raised a couple warning bells with you.

you can still do roro even if it's not running, we've done it many times. (with Kiwi shipping)

(Car can't be smashed however, but non-running is fine).

180,000 is a huge ripoff, should be more like 30,000.

Also, send it to Osaka, closer than Tokyo. Correct, no roro in f*kuoka, at least your buyer isn't misleading you in this regard.

If you have a problem after this, contact a customs agent in Japan that speaks English and they can handle all this for you, for definitely cheaper than 180,000.

good luck.....sounds like a shady operator in Japan. Have you done research on this guy? I've hardly heard stories of Japanese doing this....what his story? Might be something to warn fellow SAU people about (after all the info is confirmed of course.)

-david @ carizma

Why and how badly is obvious, when you realise how rare the car is, which further leads me to the point of me possibly being ripped off. That said, while I agree it being a non-running car makes it more troublesome, there is a very big difference between 30,000Y and 180,000Y.

Apparently the seller "had to get rid of the car quickly" and I have little choice but to accept the 180000Y shipping 'quote' - although I have not paid for it as yet. What I am trying to do is get a quote through other means to validate either claim.

Is it a coincidence that my advised 'maximum' bid is within 10000Y of the total cost claimed by the guy in Japan? Also, this is the first time my Australian guy has used this guy in Japan for such things. Maybe this "japanese merchant thieves" is not far from the truth - and that is what I'm trying to find out.

Hmm....'having to get rid of something quickly' isn't a great sign.

Hopefully this has raised a couple warning bells with you.

you can still do roro even if it's not running, we've done it many times. (with Kiwi shipping)

(Car can't be smashed however, but non-running is fine).

180,000 is a huge ripoff, should be more like 30,000.

Also, send it to Osaka, closer than Tokyo. Correct, no roro in f*kuoka, at least your buyer isn't misleading you in this regard.

If you have a problem after this, contact a customs agent in Japan that speaks English and they can handle all this for you, for definitely cheaper than 180,000.

good luck.....sounds like a shady operator in Japan. Have you done research on this guy? I've hardly heard stories of Japanese doing this....what his story? Might be something to warn fellow SAU people about (after all the info is confirmed of course.)

-david @ carizma

Hey David, thanks for the post and help - much appreciated.

The car itself is sound, I won it via Yahoo and had it looked into before bidding. byt this "had to get rid of the car quickly" I mean he could not hold onto the car for the extra day or so it would take me to organise an alternate arrangement to the 180000Y shipping option. :)

So you suggest I get it trucked from f*kuoka to osaka and get it sent here roro? The car is not damaged at all, it's complete and fine, but not running.

Failing this, how can I get in contact with an English speaking Customs Agent in Japan? Any ideas?

This all might be too little, too late...but I'm losing sleep over it and it's really doing my head in.

I will say it again. there is plenty of ro-ro available in kyushu. I just sent a car from there about 8 days ago. do I need to post the bill of lading to prove I actually know what I'm talking about? why on earth would you truck a car up to Osaka to put it on a ship that probably then sail down to Kyushu to get more cars loaded before heading on to australia etc? I still can't figure out why everyone says: "send it to osaka" "send it to tokyo" "send it to hokkaido" "send it to manchuria" just send it to australia. from kyushu. where it is now.

I will offer one last piece of advice. of the carriers i have personally used kiwi was the worst (and since previous bad experiences I have voted with my feet and never used them again). I now use either mitsui,K line, or NYK. Since using those carriers I haven't had a problem (touch wood!).

I will say it again. there is plenty of ro-ro available in kyushu. I just sent a car from there about 8 days ago. do I need to post the bill of lading to prove I actually know what I'm talking about? why on earth would you truck a car up to Osaka to put it on a ship that probably then sail down to Kyushu to get more cars loaded before heading on to australia etc? I still can't figure out why everyone says: "send it to osaka" "send it to tokyo" "send it to hokkaido" "send it to manchuria" just send it to australia. from kyushu. where it is now.

That definitely seems to be the most conveneint. Do you know if roro is available from Kyushu, for non-running cars?

Do you have anyone in Japan I can get to be contacted to organise this? PM me if need be.

The bill of lading is not required... :)

I'd imagine it was trans-shipped to Osaka and no one told you. It happens a lot.

haha, no comment on that, cause we use pretty much all of those companies from time to time.

My favorite thing about Kiwi is they offer a car to be shipped to QLD, then trucked down to VIC included.

I could be mistaken about that roro thing, but when I worked there we trans-shipped cars from Kyushu, they arrived to our customers at roro ports as roro of course.

maybe they did some port upgrades or something, cause I haven't worked there in cars for 2 years now.

I will offer one last piece of advice. of the carriers i have personally used kiwi was the worst (and since previous bad experiences I have voted with my feet and never used them again). I now use either mitsui,K line, or NYK. Since using those carriers I haven't had a problem (touch wood!).

yes, ro-ro is ro-ro if you know what I mean. they will happily load and unload non-running cars. some exotics are disabled on purpose so they can't be started etc by handlers and still sent ro-ro. lots of lines load at Kanda. I'm not sure if kiwi do, but I think they do. but anyway I wouldn't go anywhere near them. you will have to pay extra as the car has to be towed/lifted/pushed onto the vessel. just tell your dude to get the freakin schedule for mitsui, or Kline or NYK, find a vessel coming up soon, book some space on it, then get him to have the car towed to the wharf and they will take it from there. I just checked, kiwi don't go to kanda, but that is no great loss. anyway you hav missed their last boat of the year so if for some reason you do go with kiwi you car wont be leaving japan till january at the earliest, unless your buyer has already booked space on magic wave 17.

this is mitsui's service:

Service Frequency: 3-5 voyages / month

Transit time from Japan last port to main calling ports

TOWNSVILLE 11 DAYS

BRISBANE 13 DAYS

SYDNEY 15 DAYS

MELBOURNE 17 DAYS

ADELAIDE 19 DAYS

Service Frequency: 1 voyage / month

FREMANTLE 12 DAYS

DARWIN 18 DAYS

I don't really know anyone that would be keen to take on this task half way through and possibly have to deal with a buyer/exporter unwilling to assist. and it would probably cost you that 180,000 in the long run anyway.

I'd imagine it was trans-shipped to Osaka and no one told you. It happens a lot.

lol, do you want me to post pictures of cars being driven onto ships in kanda? mate ro-ro has been coming out of kanda for a long time. I've seen it with my own two eyes!

haha, no comment on that, cause we use pretty much all of those companies from time to time.

My favorite thing about Kiwi is they offer a car to be shipped to QLD, then trucked down to VIC included.

I could be mistaken about that roro thing, but when I worked there we trans-shipped cars from Kyushu, they arrived to our customers at roro ports as roro of course.

maybe they did some port upgrades or something, cause I haven't worked there in cars for 2 years now.

the last time I used kiwi (when they dicked me around for the last time) was when they changed their policy that they will not cover all inland transport from QLD anymore, and they only reimburse you up to a certain amount (that was 3 years ago, before that they did provide free in-land aus transport). also, having a car unloaded in QLD, then sit around for a while till it gets on a car carrier, then driven down to syndney or melbourne adds at least a week to the process. sure if you lived in QLD it may be a good idea, but I would never use kiwi again. I will always have my cars shipped direct to my closest port if at all possible. the less people handling the car the better.

there haven't been any amazing changes to kanda. ro-ro has been going out of there for a fair while. why you would send cars from kyushu to osaka to ship doesn't make sense to me unless you were unable to get space on a vessel leaving kyushu.

hmm....nope, no pictures necessary, I believe you 100%.......

anyways, back to the topic at hand.....this guy is getting shafted by this seller....can we all at least agree on that?

lol, do you want me to post pictures of cars being driven onto ships in kanda? mate ro-ro has been coming out of kanda for a long time.

found some pics on my work PC. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to argue just for the sake of it, but saying there is no roro out of kanda is just plain not true.

The lovely port of Kanda, and cars being loaded onto a dedicated car and truck carrier (PCTC).

cimg0088pk2.jpg

cimg0098qx9.jpg

cimg0097ce2.jpg

p1000021pp5.jpg